Xcal2 messes up my cold starts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
Whenever I would start the Trac in the mornings it would try to die then the idle would surge up & then the trac would sit there for a few seconds & sound like an old car that has the choke either stuck open or stuck closed. It would only do this on the first morning start up & the colder it got, the worse it was. I had a shop change out my lower intake manifold (I have a job 1 with the two piece manifold) and the next day it did it again. I took the Xcal tune out & put the truck back to stock--Next morning it started & ran like new. I've tested it 6 times now & everytime I have the truck in stock tune it starts great. Everytime I put an Xcal tune in it wont run on cold startup. I wish I knew what to customize on the tune to fix this problem cause I do miss the little performance gain I have with the Xcal tune. I spent almost 400 for the tuner & now I cant use it due to the starting issues. Any ideas on what part of the tune needs tweaking?[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing you can do, Sounds like something that SCT needs to change or may have updated in their main program...

I know the idle is adjustable in the software and so is the MAF curve, when I had mine running rich I kind had the same thing... I leaned out the mix a little and all is good...

Of course when I say I, I had the tuner do it, because the adjustments in the software where not enough..

Todd Z

Tonka, Sucks to hear what's going on. Your Trac is lookin' sweeter and sweeter everytime I see it! ;)

Todd, what tune specs are you running? I would like to get everything straight from the get-go and have the tuning dealer do it right the first time. Thanks, DD ST

DD,

IT all depends what the tuner is capable of doing.... These are the "tweaks" that Wayne was great at, It stood him apart from the rest....

Any tuner will give you the basic tune, I say go from there, IF you think a certain area can be adjusted, call them and see what they think...

But I would increase the Maf curve 5%, lower tranny slip time, lower lock up slip time, move the neutral rev limiter to 6K, remove the speed limiter, Raise the TPS voltage, And change the standard parameters that come with the basic tune from SCT...

Todd Z