Wood question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am stumped.

In talking with a wood dealer today about some wood i want to order.

He said he has a large cant of it coming in next week.

So I place my order, end of convo, than I got to thinking, whats a cant?

searched all over the net,anyone have a clue what a cant of wood is?

Square cut from a log. Usually, the largest square that you can get from a round log. The lumber yard told you nothing about what they were getting. The largest cant you can get from a 18 inch log is a 12 inch square x however long the log is. However, if the log is only 2 inches they are going to end with a tomato stick. They are probably getting a large square which needs to me sawed. Most likely it will be green and should be dried before use.

All good info, thx.

More info.Is gabon ebony, 18 mos air dried, log will be slabbed to 2x2x12 inch pieces for my material, will be waxed but still to wet for my application@ 14% H2o content.

But I have a couple tricks to get it ready for turning.

Microwave it, two mins at 30% power, do this over the course of a couple days about ten times, or soak in denatured alcohol for 5 days, air dry for 15, works like a charm:)

The above is done after I run it thru the planer and cut to size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn a few pieces green, seal them with wax and set them up in a dry place for about 6 to 8 months. Then turn them again. You will like the results. I won't effect you with the pieces milled, but it takes about 8 - 10 years for a ebony log to air dry

Latest posts