Why I carry a gun

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave King 2

Reaction score
Why I Carry a Gun

My old grandpa said to me son,' there comes a time in every mans life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin'.

I don't carry a gun to kill people.

I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.

I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.

I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.

I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.

I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.

I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.

I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.

I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.

I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.

I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves.

Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'.

My old grandpa said to me son,' there comes a time in every mans life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin'.

Interesting piece, but I seriously doubt that our grandpas would be using the phrase "bustin' caps". Mine wouldn't have even know what it meant.

I don't carry a gun because I want to die with a conscious free of the guilt of killing another human.

Not to say I'm anti-gun. I choose not to walk around with one strapped to me like a fat woman's tits in a super-bra.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the bullet proof glass at the post office is to STOP the bullets from INSIDE flying OUT to hurt the CUSTOMERS !!!

:lol:

Damn Todd, I knew NY was rough but I have yet to see bullet proof glass at a Post office!!!

Of course I'm in Kansas but I still say "damn"!!!

dave,

oh yea, they have it in some p.o.'s in the nyc boro's.

you put your transaction thru a drawer/cylinder that spins around and is only accessible by the customer/employee on either side.

so much for customer service :eek:

I am by no means anti gun, but what's up with all the gun talk lately? I don't feel the need to carry a concealed weapon and I have two very close friends in law enforcement that feel the same way as I do. Where I grew up "gun" is generally synonymous with food. I don't know...maybe it's a Hawaii thing.

I just feel bad for those who feel as if they need to carry a gun to feel "safe". It's a little bothersome for me to think that the stranger standing next to me could be carrying a concealed weapon. I've seen and dealt with the devastation of firearms first hand in just about every scenario you can think of, but I'm sure the members here who carry concealed weapons are responsible people so power to you and to each his own...just not my thing.

I've been to some dangerous places in the World and never felt afraid enough to buy a gun. The only time I carry is when my job tells me to get an M-16 from the armory. I just returned from Afghanistan and was only armed with a helmet and body armor. No weapon of any kind. Now why the hell does someone feel afraid enough to carry in The USA?

It is mostly habit for me. On a daily basis, I probably don't need to lock them, but then I travel a lot and wouldn't want to find someone living in my house when I come back.

Locking doors gives people a false sense of security. If someone wants to rob you, a lock won't stop them. By the same token, if someone wants to kill you a glock won't stop them.

It is an interesting piece but it sounds more like excuses than viable reasons, I am in no way anti-gun and I have no problem with a CWP, but the people that scare me the most are the ones that support the argument that they have the right to carry a gun in or even to the work place or they have the right to carry a gun when they visit someone elses home.

If you come to my home you are in my area and that is NOT one of your rights.

Guns...to each their own.

I believe wit, wisdom and humor will keep me from ever getting shot. That and not keeping a loaded gun in my sweatpants and then trying to grab it as it slips down my leg at which point I hit the trigger and shoot myself ala Plaxico Burress.

So you say, those that would threaten me would not care about any of those? Part II is I would not put myself in situations where those people would be. Does this make me change my life and how I live it...no, I never had a need to put myself into those positions/situations.

I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

How about hating yourself because one of your kids found your gun and shot himself or someone else (inadvertantly)?

All things being equal - meaning I am threatened by someone without a gun. I have baseball bats and lots of them and they are in each vehicle, under the bed, in the garage the basement. Big ones, small ones, wood, metal (15% farther). I would hit for the cycle that day. Walking Tall III.

JT#14

The chances of being killed in a car accident are much higher than being shot by some thug. So why are you still driving if you are so afraid of dying or having someone in your family die? Cigarettes and cholesterol also kill more people than guns. Sell the gun and use the money for a fitness club membership. It will be more effective at prolonging your life. ;)

you guys that say i have never felt the need have obvioulsy never been in a situation or have had a family member that has been in a situation where it was needed and wasnt available.

with the passing of shall issue concealed carry laws in 37 states the odds are now even and the crime statistics prove it.

everyone has their own reasons for carrying and their own reason for not carrying and all im going to say is with the economy the way its going robberies and house invasions are on the rise as is happening in my neck of the woods and i personally will be prepared.

and one last thing for those that dont feel comfortable around people that carry concealed,

its called concealed carry for a reason and i bet if you live in a state has shall issue laws you have been in contact with more people that are carrying a gun than you could ever dream of and kicker is you never even knew it. CONCEALED CARRY get it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry#Research_into_the_effects_of_concealed_carry_laws_on_crime

Travis

I never had a need to put myself into those positions/situations.

You never go to public places? Resturants get robbed, banks get robbed, what about the recent college/school shootings? No one says hey I think I'll go hang out in the dark alley, tragedies happen in "safe" places too.

NelsonOKC

So why are you still driving if you are so afraid of dying or having someone in your family die?

I also take what I consider to be the right precautions. I wear my seatbelt, I obey traffic laws, I had to take a test that said I was capable of driving.

I'm not forcing anyone to carry or even to like the fact that I carry. But I can and will because there are bad people. Like wp23n said you would never even know I was carrying because it's concealed like it's supposed to be, and will never leave it's holster unless its going to destroy something/someone. Responsible adults aren't out showing off their weapons to be harda$$es. We carry to protect was is ours and what we love. And for that matter to protect you, those that decide not to carry.

edit: also don't get the idea that just because I have a gun I'm going to shoot someone who is robbing a store, all instances have circumstances that come into play, and that would be a call that the gun holder has to decide upon.

Well said JD. I've been keeping an eye on this posting and it's amazing to see how quick things turn. I got this same e-amil from my father about 3 weeks ago. I have to agree with it. I'm sorry, but no amount of "ballbats" equal one gun. The gun will outreach you by far. As for safety of the guns in my home? Lock and Key. Also, the one in my car can not be reached unless you are in the driver's seat. I don't make a habit of letting my kids sit in the driver's seat of my car.

With that said, I do agree also with Travis to a point. I haven't and don't plan on putting myself in a position to have to ever use my concealed weapon. It's called responsability. Just because we carry, doesn't mean we are just going to walk down dark alleys, or hang at shady bars. If you do that, then in my opinion, you deserve what you get. But if you think I'm going to sit back and make myself an easy "mark". Think again.;)

all im going to say is with the economy the way its going robberies and house invasions are on the rise as is happening in my neck of the woods and i personally will be prepared.

Thank you, that answers my question.