Whine during reverse

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
From time to time I hear whining while my Trac is in reverse (namely when I'm parking). The pitch increases with gas pressure. All seems fine aside from this noise. It's not an annoying sound, I'm just paranoid given the tranny's reputation. Is it normal? My Trac's an 04, 2WD, 4.10LS, 21K miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard a whine in most cars in reverse, when you backup fast enough...I cant vouch for automatics, but with a stick shift the reverse gear is usualy straight cut, instead of helical...there for they whine...

The noise could also be coming from the rear axle. Gears are designed to be run in one direction to minimize noise. Look at my project I linked below. There is a close-up of the ring gear. See how it is cut?

Man, Flip, you are a worry wort. Relax. Sometimes we look too hard to find a problem that isn't there, but just normal operation noises.

Tom

I'm with Fast Eddie on the straight cut gears. Straight cut gears are louder, but I've heard they're supposed to be stronger.

Thanks for the replies. So the consensus is the whine is normal. Good to know. Hi GM!

LOL. You're right, Caymen, my concern for my Trac borders on paranoia, but given the Trac's tranny reputation around here I'm prompted to ask about every noise I don't know whether is normal or not. I've read several complaints about the tranny from members who did not just register simply to post such complaints. I myself already had to take my Trac in at less than 20K miles for the 2-3 flare that others have posted about, so my confidence in reliability is so-so in this regard. Simply put, my budget is quite tight at the moment, and if I my Trac has a problem I want to be able to take it to the dealer before the warranty expires in a few thousand miles.

On another note, I sincerely appreciate all the helpful feedback that members have always provided me here. It keeps me in the know and has been a big part in my enjoyment of owning a Sport Trac.

I have this whine that kicks in about 2000 rpm and continues into a full-blown SCREAM at 5000 rpm. It happens in every gear, including reverse. Boy, is it ever LOUD!

Yep, turned into a 2005 Pontiac GTO. It's a pretty impressive transformation if I do say so myself! hehe

Honestly, the way it's been running lately, I'd be afraid to do a good burn out. With my luck, I'd blow it up. It's on the verge of self destruction anyway. The waterheads at the dealership didn't even drive it. Hell, they didn't even START it! They are offering me over retail price for it, which is more than I expected to get. The son of the guy who owns the dealership wants it. After the trade is done, I might link him to this site.

That GTO is F A S T.

Yes, you traded the Trac.

Second member with an EE supercharger and he is having problems. Interesting.

Tom

My Dad bought a '68 GTO new. ( I was 4 years old then ) He just sold it a couple months ago. :( It was a sweet ride. There's a picture of it in my library.

yeah, I don't think the spirit of the original GTO can be captured today. However, this one is considerably FASTER and gets much better gas mileage. ;)

I'm going to stay active here at the forums, although probably not quite as active as I have been, since I won't have a trac. :(

I don't like hijacking threads, so I'll post a new one in a little while with more info or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts