Which shocks for me?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Bentley

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed a zillion times but please humor me. I'm wanting to put new shocks on my 2005 ST 4x4. It's got 106,000 miles on it now. I can get a good deal on shocks since the company I work for owns their own Napa store so my cost is 10% over their cost. That being said, they offer Monroe Sensa-track and Rancho RS5000's.

The Monroe's would run me a little under $150 for a set and the Rancho's a little under $200. I've not check for any better deals yet but will later. But, my question is to you ST owners is, which shock I should invest in.

My truck will be run mostly on the highway and I put about 30-35 miles on it a day. I don't do any off-roading or towing. My thoughts are that the Monroe's would be best for the ride but the Rancho's would be stiffer and better IF I wanted to do some off-roading. Plus, maybe they would be more stable and better handling.

Give me some comparison advice on these two shocks only since they are what Napa offers.

Thank you very much.

Mark

The sensatracks have a slight "marshmallow" feel to them while they break in..... I have them in my 03, I had the old Reflexes that i loved but the sensas i am very happy with.... The ranchos ride too hard for me on the road.

Todd Z

I would get what I wanted regardless of what NAPA may offer. Rancho has a rebate offer through the end of June.

I have the 5000s on my 1985 Toyota 4Runner and they work fine on that, but it is a lighter truck with a shorter wheelbase and closer to 50:50 weight distribution than the ST.

On the ST I tried the MonoMax and they were good at the rear, but too soft at the front (too much porpoising). I now have the Rancho RS9000XL and I like them a lot. I have them set at 6 front and 3 rear and they are easy and quick to adjust (five minutes).

The on-road handling is much better without the front bouncing like it did with the other shocks. Much more predictable. If you go on a long road trip, adjust down to 5 or 4 in the front and instant comphy.

I have seen the 9000s as low as $85.00 (Amazon) and are typically $99.00. With the rebate ($100.00), a set of four would be no more than $300.00. The rebate on the 5000s is $50.00.

In that NAPA sells Rancho, I would think that NAPA could order a set.

Yeah, our Napa store can get both the 5000 and 9000's. The main thing I'd be looking for would be a more comfy ride since my wife occasionally drives it too. And I don't drive on very many roads that have tight corners or uneven turns. The truck didn't get drove much till lately when it took over commuter duties. It might make it into the timber when I'm hunting but that doesn't happen very often these days.

Just looking for opinions but am leaning more towards the sensatracks. They would seem to be more practical for my needs.

Thanks for your help guys.

I have the Sensa-tracs on my '05 2 wheel drive Trac. Very pleased with ride/handling overall. ANYTHING is better than the Ford OE shocks though!! :)

If I ordered the Rancho 5000's from our Napa store, I'm not sure I'd qualify for the $50 rebate since it says the rebate won't work with other discounts, rebates, etc. I get a employee discount there since our company owns the store so that might void the rebate.

Check your receipt. If there's no indication of discount, go for it. Maybe have them not note the price reduction, merely the final price. Can't hurt to ask. $50.00 is a nice dinner.

Latest posts