What's your tire pressure???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Fazzina

Reaction score
In this day in age, especially in my case, we all need to pinch pennies wherever we can. Traditionally people cut uneeded expensenses, curbed unecessary spending and even take public transportation.

Remember that the correct tire pressure will assist you in saving $$$ in the long run and give you better gas mileage.

Yup I run 36 all around in my ST.....

Todd Z

On the doorframe, it suggests 30 front, 35psi rear for my '01 ST 4X4. The new Revos I just put on (265/70/16) have a max of 44psi.

Am I better off running them higher? Where should I stop? What's the point of running different in the front vs. rear?

I just run 36psi as well in my 265/70/16 Revos. Most of any tire has a max of 44psi. I wouldn't go any higher than 40 or any lower than 35. Its easier to keep them all the same psi per say, for fact when it comes to rotating b/c you don't have to take out here and put in here.

40 psi all round in my 245/75r16's. Max is 44psi. 36psi made them feel like they wanted to "fold" when I'd go around turns, and 44psi made the ride to bumpy. 40psi makes it ride pretty good.;)

Wow!! Again.

There is a reason, many actually, the manufacturer takes the time to put a sticker with recommended pressures on the vehicle: optimum ride, safety and gas mileage to name just three.

I use 33-35 PSI. I fill them to 35 PSI and let them drop to 33 PSI before I pump them back up to 35 PSI.

grumpy,

As fpr the vehicle manufacturers tire inflation stickers...I don't really trust them. They are only a compromise setting that tends to always be on the low side for a softer ride, which lower fuel mileage. A few pounds over those recommendations will yield better gas mileage, and better tire wear, while not making the ride too harsh. Of course, this all depends on the tire and the vehicle, but it's just a general rule of thumb.

...Rich

In my 07ST LTD with 18" wheels, I ran a few pounds more than the recommended 32 lbs (like 36 lbs) to get better gas milage. Guess what? The middle of the tread is wearing out quicker than the outside tread. They are almost down to the wear indicators with 29k miles on the ST. Needless to say, I have to get new tires before winter. Anyone with a Gen2 ST, run the recommended pressure, not more. I should have kept a better eye on this but never had a problem running higher pressure in my old ST. The new ST is different. Watch your pressure!!!

Pat, thanks for the feedback on the excessive tire pressure. I'm currently running about 40psi so i'll bring it down to around 32.

i still have the goodyear recall tires on mine

and run 35 all the way around

Pat, what was the tire pressure on the tire itself? You may have actually overinflated the tires by going to 36. My 235's that were on the ST when I got it said the max pressure was 36psi. The 245's I have now, the max pressure is 45psi. As said before, Ford recommends those pressures to give the "ultimate" ride comfort. Not that it is the optimal pressure for the set of tires you have. I'm just asking, not saying that you are wrong on your post.;)

Latest posts