What's your tire pressure???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the manufacturer takes all things into consideration, why are the tire pressures recommended for the 2007 V-6 and V-8 cars the same (32 PSI) for identical tires? The V-8 engine and transmission are heavier that their V-6 counterpart; logically, a bit more pressure would seem to be required for the front tires in the V-8 car.

Supposing the V-8 and tranny combo weighs 200 pounds more (I'm just guessing at this) with probably 2,700 pounds on the front axle (estimating here also), you have about a 7% greater weight. So perhaps 7% more pressure (about 2 more PSI) in front on a V-8 car might be appropriate with no change to the factory recommended pressure in back.

Generally speaking I respect the factory's recommendations. Bear in mind the ABS and electronic stability controls are programmed with the factory air pressures in mind. Gross over-inflation will reduce the contact patch (as evidenced by the center wear reported above) and consequently the effectiveness of these systems.

Hard over-inflated tires will save gas money which you can then spend fixing suspension components that have to absorb the additional impact energy that would have been absorbed by the flexing sidewalls.

The super low sidewall tires that so many people love also have the same effect. I know, I had a set on my 'Vette and if they hit any significant bump it sounded and felt like the suspension was hitting its limits because the impact was so bad. Between being extra wide and extra low profile, it was like hitting water with a ping pong paddle.

stonemiser - Tires are rated at least 40 lb max pressure (it could be 44 but I know it wasn't in the 30's).

I ran 36 lb since new. I now have 29k on the tires and there is a 2/32" difference between the outside treads and the inside. I rotated every 5k miles. The wear is not noticable when the tires are new, but when I started getting close to the wear indicators, I noticed it. The rears are worn more than the fronts. Makes since. The front carries more weight so that's easily distributed. The rear is lighter so the tires run more in the middle. Once I rotate, then the middle wear should balance out in the front.