What's wrong with Unions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
Union Rules & Hookers

A dedicated Teamsters union worker was attending a convention in Las Vegas and decided to check out the local brothels. When he got to the first one, he asked the Madam, 'Is this a union house?'

'No,' she replied, 'I'm sorry it isn't.'

'Well, if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?'

'The house gets $80 and the girls get $20,' she answered.

Offended at such unfair dealings, the union man stomped off down the street in search of a more equitable, hopefully unionized shop. His search continued until finally he reached a brothel where the Madam responded, 'Why yes sir, this is a union house. 'We observe all union rules.'

The man asked, 'And if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?' 'The girls get $80 and the house gets $20.'

'That's more like it!' the union man said.

He handed the Madam $100, looked around the room, and pointed to a stunningly attractive green-eyed blonde.

'I'd like her,' he said...

'I'm sure you would, sir,' said the Madam. Then she gestured to a 92-year old woman in the corner, 'but Ethel here has 67 years seniority and according to union rules, she's next.'

NOW YOU Know what's wrong with the AUTO industry.

And why they want a BAILOUT.

but without the union, the girls could be fired left and right. At least this way, they have some say in things. maybe even get a raise every year- wink wink, I said "raise".:lol:

Yeah>> 800 Car dealerships shutting down was caused by union workers. BULLSH*T

How many times do I have to tell that you Union bashers are uninformed, uneducated, and incapable of seeing that there needs to be a middle class. Capatilism (and our society) will fail, unless you wake up from your fox news fueled stupor!

Frank said:
How many times do I have to tell that you Union bashers are uninformed, uneducated, and incapable of seeing that there needs to be a middle class. Capatilism (and our society) will fail, unless you wake up from your fox news fueled stupor!

And how many times do I have to say that I enjoy watching people make blanket, all encompassing statements because they ultimately stick their foot in their mouth when the do so.

As for the middle class, that's been shrinking for decades. Why? Because the upper-middle class has been moving into the upper class, and to a much smaller extent the lower middle class has dropped into the lower class. So it is upwards mobility that is shrinking the middle class. How is that bad for our economy, exactly?

Blame Fox News...Classic!

TJR

FOX News - Fair and Balanced and kicking everyone's butt in it's time slot for a reason.

Chrysler and GM closing dealerships, Change you can believe in!

Obama is trying to keep his UAW people employed with Bailout money while letting non-union dealership employees get laid off...NICE JOB PREZBO...

Maybe we sould let Wal-Mart take over selling Chryslers and GM cars at their stores, they have enough parking spots, and they know how to roll back prices and still keep their shareholders happy at the same time. Everyday low prices....:banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bud,

All good points. Frankly, I have no use for dealer salespeople (no offense to those that contribute here). They aren't needed anymore thanks to Edmunds.com, and are frankly a hurddle to me getting the price I want to pay and ultimately end up paying anyway.

As for dealer service, they are "Stealership service centers" as Todd Z calls them. If it weren't for warranty work I would have them do no work.

The dealership model has been broken. Dealerships provide little value. Sell at invoice price over the internet, provide locations for test drives and warranty work, and get out of the way.

TJR

If dealerships went away, I wonder if "stealership" conduct would make its way into independent service shops.

How many times do I have to tell that you Union bashers are uninformed, uneducated, and incapable of seeing that there needs to be a middle class. Capatilism (and our society) will fail, unless you wake up from your fox news fueled stupor
!

blah, blah, blah...

It just a simple math problem:

You have Union Auto Workers making 5?.00 an hour, trying to sell their product to average Americans who make between 7.00 and 20.00 an hour. How do you figure that?

Why can't people understand the simple facts?

You have Union Auto Workers making 5?.00 an hour, trying to sell their product to average Americans who make between 7.00 and 20.00 an hour. How do you figure that?

Why can't people understand the simple facts?

Because they do not make 5?.00 an hour.

Tom

Guys - It was just a joke... I'm not bashing anyone.

Doesn't anyone laugh anymore?

frank, unions, at one time, served a very needed purpose. They, migrated however, in many instances, to an extortion machine. when one is not permitted to work for a company unless they are a union member that appears to my as being a monopoly of labor. We all know that monopolies, can be very abusive. They are illegal in companies but not labor.

The auto industry is in trouble because of BOTH management and labor. When the BIG THREE were the major players in the world, the US would not allow the auto companies to collaborate on ANYTHING as not to be a monopoly. Collectively negotiating on union contracts was absolutely taboo. At the same time ALL three companies had the same union (UAW) who could cross company lines and decide which of the three they would strike for better wages and benefits. At this point they had a monopoly of labor. If not settles in a reasonable time, the other two auto companies would start taking market share away from the one being struck. To prevent this from happening, the management would cave on many demands, BUT to appear to be still in charge, and thus get their big bonuses, many of these concessions would occur in the future, like medical, retirement, etc.

Well, the future is here and the auto industry can no longer sustain the burden, especially since there is real foreign competition now.

Toyota pays about $45/hr including all benefits. The big three pay about $75/hr for the same work. This can no longer be put into the price of the product and passed on. Either quality goes down or prices go up. Both are not good for the sales model

The UAW should be abolished,Tell the members they have 14 days to make major concessions as to wages and benifits or they will be fired, no ifs ands or buts.

That being said, I have been thru some plants, I have seen how cars are built, is all automated, very few of the UAW workers are skilled labor, they just move parts around.

We have millions of Skilled workers out of work that would be more than happy to do those jobs for half the cost, hire them.

The bottom line is the big 3 cannot compete in the world markets because the UAW has a strangle hold on the companys, there so called intitalments (SP) do not hold water anymore.

JMO

bill,

so true.

the big 3 were able to carry them in the past but since we hit near rock bottom, then reality set in. :eek:

Hmm, Toyota and Mitsubishi have UAW represented plants in the USA.

Is it the union or is it managment?

Before Gary starts talking like he knows it all and that I have a table that has nothing on it, though it is in his library (go figure that one out), here is a list.

Mitsubishi Eclipse

Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

Mitsubishi Galant

Toyota Corolla

Toyota Tacoma

Mitsubishi Endeavor

Of course, I am sure Gary "new" this information already.

Tom

tom,

i knew the uaw was there. i am talking about the uaw at the big 3 and the contracts that were in place prior.

point?

Latest posts