What's the difference between Generation I vs. II?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to start anything but - how is a Gen I a real truck and a Gen II is not? Is it because of the different rear end configuration?

I use my Gen II for everything a truck would be used for - tow, carry a 720 pound ATV in the bed (by the way, it just fits with the tailgate down where a Gen I wouldn't fit my ATV with the smaller bed), haul lumber, moved the entire contents of my house using a Gen II.

I go off road (2wd) carrying the ATV and towing the camper in some pretty remote places. I certainly don't go 4-wheeling but I'm sure some other Gen II owners can chime in on that one.

It has V8 power that the Gen I doesn't have and yes, IMO, it looks better.

Correction - I meant a 620 pound ATV - My bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly like the look of the Gen 1 over the gen 2..... Unless it is the Gen 2 adrenalin only...

So I was torn...... LOL

Todd Z

Gen 2 has a much higher payload and trailering capacity. Gen 2's frame is much stiffer and stronger than Gen 1. Gen 2 all have disc brakes on all four wheels. Gen 2 has larger bed and more interior cargo room.

Not sure how Gen 1 can be more of a real truck when its capability in nearly every measure is less than Generation 2?

Latest posts