What's the difference between Generation I vs. II?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening everyone! I'm a huge fan of the Sporttracs, but not sure what differentiates between Generation 1 vs. 2. . . I believe it is the year of make, but correct me if I'm wrong?

Thank you for your time!

2005_Ford_ExplorerSportTrac_ext_1.jpg

vs.

[Broken External Image]:

Correct me if I am wrong, but 2007 started the Gen 2 series; Gen 1 was everything previous.

Gen 1's only came with a V6; Gen 2's introduced the option for the V8 as well - not to mention the new body styling of the Adrenalin version.

In short, the Gen1 is comparatively crude and more truck-like. The Gen2 is far more refined, and is a highly sophisticated sport pickup that's far more exotic than you might think. By "exotic, I mean that you're on your own getting aftermarket parts for it.

If the '07-'10 Sport Trac works for you factory stock, or you have the ability to fabricate upgrades for it, and you appreciate the benefits of Advance Trac ASC, then the Gen2 is for you. If you're looking for a Ranger with a larger engine, then the Gen 1 is more your speed.

Larger engine? My Ranger was smaller than my ST and had the same engine, so it felt bigger in the Ranger.

If you're basically looking for a Ranger with a short bed and a true crew cab then the 01-05 Sport Trac is what you're looking for. If you're looking for an Explorer with a short bed instead of a third row/cargo area then you want the 07-10 Sport Trac

Tommy.... OR THIS !!!

I fopund it easy to just OWN both !!! LOL

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned (okay, leased through my company) both. An '05 and now an '08.

If you mostly drive on-road the ride and handling on the Gen 2 is worlds better.

If you want to off-road then a Gen 1 is better because it has better ground clearance stock, most have front tow hooks, a t-case skidplate, and you can get a fuel tank skidplate from Ford (although you can get a fuel tank plate for a Gen 2 also, it has no t-case plate).

A Gen 1 may have a limited-slip rear axle. The Gen 2 did not offer a limited-slip at all and has traction control instead, which makes the engine take a crap when all four wheels are in deep snow. You can turn it off but then you have open axles front and rear.

You can lift a Gen 1 with a body lift, a 4" kit from Superlift, or a 5" kit from Dixon Bros. Period.

You can lift a Gen 2 with a 2" Truxx spacer lift. Period.

All Gen 1's have a 4.0 SOHC V6 engine, manual trannys are out there but not many.

All Gen 2's are automatics, most with the 4.0 SOHC, V8's are out there but not many.

Gen 1's do not have a factory trailer hitch but you can add one (I did) or use a bumper ball if you're towing something light.

Gen 2's come with a factory Class II hitch (lightweight) and a factory Class III was optional.

Gen 1's have a solid rear axle and the Ranger-style torsion bar front suspension with shocks that are way too soft and should be tossed in the garbage and replaced immediately.

Gen 2's have an all-independent suspension with coil-over shocks and handle like a sports car by comparison.

'03-'05 Gen 1's have 4-wheel disc brakes, all Gen 2's have 4-wheel discs.

FWIW I'm going to have at least one Torsen differential in my '07 Gen2 ST this winter. IME with the Torsen and other all-speed traction control systems, many e-mailed responses from engineers etc., I have no doubt that the Torsen will make my Gen2 a far better winter truck.

I have many years of experience with Ford's various RWD IRS systems, and am a solid proponent of the Gen2 IRS system. My stock Gen2 suspension is tuned so it acts like an old pickup truck. But the right combo of shocks and bushings can change that easily. My main challenge has been in putting power to the pavement without activating the programs that close the throttle to "solve" imagined sporty driving.

The Ford 6R transmission and Borg Warner Traction on Demand have a lot of unused performance potential. If the stock 6R55 can't handle a high output motor, no problem--there are 6Rxx models that can be swapped right in. I'm looking for venture capital that will replace the "nice" paper and bronze variable clutch with materials in the transfer case that will stand up to drag racing starts all day long. Remember that Traction on demand appears under different brand names (Ford's is called "Sport Trac" :rolleyes:) in the Big Three in many applications. There is a market...

Last edited by a moderator:
I read a while ago that the 2004 Explorer had a limited-slip option since traction control wasn't introduced yet and that that diff will fit. Let us know if the Torsen fits. FWIW, a Detroit True Trac is the same thing. I lease mine through my company but I'll probably buy it when the lease is up since I can't get another one. If I keep it I'll definitely want a L/S.

Generation I is like an '89 Ranger with a little different body.

Generation II is like a 21st century vehicle with advanced handling, ride, capability, and comfort. Generation II has a very much improved and stronger frame over Gen I. Got to get a V8, however, or else you are wasting your money.

Latest posts