Whats the advantage from switching from conventional to synthetic oil?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, at this point it is pointless... LOL

If you do your oil every 3K and don't beat the truck to death, regular is the way to fly....

I do syn about every 4K but the way i drive... LOL

In the adren i let the computer tell me when..... I run the ford SYN..... it wants changes about every 8K with Rachel driving and the last Blackstone oil test said i can go to 10K miles....

Todd Z

Synthetic lasts longer and may give some infinitesimal increase in mpg. Holds up better in very hot and very cold temps. It is "better" but it's a matter of how much more do you want to pay for "better"?

On oil run for 6000 miles or less you will see little to no difference in a used oil analysis between Motorcraft Blend, Pennzoil, or Havoline, and Mobil 1 or another synthetic.

I use Blackstone Labs for UOA's occasionally like Todd Z.

I have been running Mobil 1 0w-30 Advanced Fuel Economy almost every oil change since I got the Trac new. The UOA's are fine. I am going to run it for 7500 miles this time and see what the UOA says.

I've used Synthetic Castrol or Valvoline since day 1. I change it at 15,000 miles. The trac has 187000 miles on it... I use it so i do not have to spend time changing oil so often... i put 20,000 miles on my cars a year... Using synthetic and changing it at anything less than 7500 mile is a waste on money, IMHO... I had a 1990 aerostar, and changed dino oil every 7500 mile and it had 230,000 on it before I junked it. It got junked because the body rotted off of it.. still ran like new....

STanner said:
I had a 1990 aerostar.....It got junked because the body rotted off of it.. still ran like new....

Don't feel bad, they all did that. The rot would start at the rocker panels and be up to the doorhandles within five years. There are no Aerostars left here in PA. [/OT]

I use synthetic becuase it allows me leeway to let it run a little longer between changes if I need it. In my previous job I would drive close to 750 miles per week, not counting personal trips, so a couple of weekends could add up to a couple of extra thousand miles before I could get to it. Now I'm down to a more reasonable 250-300 miles per week, and I just use it because I've been using it for so long. 260,000 miles now and still runs beautifully.

I agree that the longer oil change intervals are the major advantange. Here in Texas it get's really hot in the summer (already into the 90's) and I like the extra heat tolerance of synthetic oils. I have also notice a slight improvement in MPG with synthetics over conventional oils.

My 2008 Mercedes came from the factory with Mobil-1 synthetic and only requires oil changes once per year or every 13K miles, whichever comes first. If Mercedes will accept Mobil-1 for extended oil changes, so will I.

I used Mobil-1 in both of my Sport Tracts starting with the first oil change and never had any problems or reasons to regret it.

If only for the extended oil change intervals, it's well worth it.

...Rich

Weighing In - I have a Jaguar "R" and it has been my work car for 5 years - I run full Synthetic and change every 10,000 miles as instructed by Jaguar - I now have 180,000 and am problem free - I also did Inner Panel rust prevenative and dont have a single rust spot - living in Nebraska where ther flippin LOVE road salt and Calcium Chloride

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think that 7500 miles is the max I would run synthetic oil. I get a kick out of all the European mfgs that suggest 13,000-15,000 mile oil changes...I guess no one has ever seen the inside of a BMW motor that has had its oil changed every 15k...it ain't pretty. VW motors aren't much better and don't get me started on the MB engines. Ford recommends I change the oil on my Edge every 7500 but I do it at 5000 and use Fords recommended oil. Ultimately it comes down to whatever you want to do but IMO 5000 miles is the magicial number no matter what kind of oil you are using on a modern day engine

l1tech,

Unlike VW or BMW, my MB V6 engine holds 9 quarts of oil. That's nearly twice the (5-6 qts)oil used in a typical V6 or even a V8, so the oil only gets about half the number of trips through the engine. MB's also use a high quality (and expensive) German made oil filter to keep the oil clean. I certainly would not recommend extended oil change intervals with a crappy filter. You must use a filter capable of keeping the oil clean for as long as the oil change interval.

If they used extended oil change intervals with a cheap oil filter you will probably see a lot of gunked up engines. It's the job of the filter to trap and hold that dirt to keep the oil and the engine clean. I suspect that the BMW owners, just used a conventional Fram or other standard oil filter that was not made to handle 13K-15K miles of use.

....Rich

Richard L,5/24/2011 21:27 MT

l1tech,

Unlike VW or BMW, my MB V6 engine holds 9 quarts of oil.

And that sir is what it is all about...crankcase capacity. It's good to see that mfgs are starting to get back to larger crankcase capacities. Not all that long ago you had some v8 engiens running as little as 4.5 quarts of oil and some 4 cylinders were down to 3.5.

As far as BMW is concerned..I think they came oil sludged from the factory. The ones I have had the pleasure of fixing have been right around 65-70k mileage range and have all had factory service records because BMW gives you free maintenance for 50k

Ultimately it comes down to whatever you want to do but IMO 5000 miles is the magicial number no matter what kind of oil you are using on a modern day engine

That's been my rule of thumb for years too, at least since I started using synthetic oil years ago.

My dad had a Beemer 740iL, the thing held about 15 quarts, only got it changed at the dealer as per the service light. He rolled up 100k on it in less than 4 years and it never burned a drop of oil. I mean we never had to add any. It was always full.

That being said, in other respects it was the worst POS he ever owned and he went back to Cadillacs, which give him no trouble whatsoever.

As far as BMW is concerned..I think they came oil sludged from the factory. The ones I have had the pleasure of fixing have been right around 65-70k mileage range and have all had factory service records because BMW gives you free maintenance for 50k

I am not doubting that you have seen every brand of vehicle with sludged up engines, but why would VW or BMW allow extended oil change intervals if it would ruin the engines and their reputation? Perhaps the problem lies with the local dealerhip service departments who just charged BMW for the free maintenance oil/filter change, but never really did the work? It certainly would not be the first time a dealership or shop screwed over a customer just to make a few extra buck$

...Rich

I have ran syn-blends to 6K for yrs, in the trac and various cars. Ran Mobil 1 in the 'stang to 7kmiles. never a problem. I presently will be sending blackstone labs a trac sample of full syn @ 10k miles. Filter change and top off @ 5k miles.

If it comes back bad I will change the interval. If it comes back good. I might push it to 12k, depending on the report.

Even with minimal maintenance, the vast majority of cars will make it through the warranty period without incident.

What we learned with my dad's BMW is that they are fantastic cars as long as they are on warranty. The tip is don't buy one, but just lease it as long as the warranty is good for.

I'm on synthetic solely for the extended change interval.

I did the whole Royal Purple thing for a while, and it was a royal pain as I couldn't find it locally in anything bigger than a quart, and there were never any deals for it. Mobile 1, on the other hand, comes in 5 quart jugs, and auto stores regularly run deals with it. It also gets some good recommendations here on MyST.

I've generally taken the same irregularly-timed approach to oil changes as other members here, and synthetic lets me. I've never sent in an oil sample though, but I have faith :grin:

I'm not sure how great the Mobil 1 oil filter is, but since most local parts stores no longer stock the K&N or Royal Purple (inferior K&N) filter for the ST, it's my go-to option as Fram is horrible.

(As a note, none of my local parts stores sell 9145 bulbs, which IIRC are the Gen 1 stock fog bulbs. So I'm forced to run the brighter & better 9005s)

Latest posts