What to look for in 2004 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da mann

Reaction score
Can anyone clue me in on what to look for in a 2004 Sport Trac (2wd) XLT. I am looking at one in Aspen Green. It has 47,000 miles and is priced at $16,000. Consumer Reports does not rate the Sport Trac very highly and said that the transmission is a problem on this year model. Anyone had transmission troubles? What other (if any) issues does this year model have? The one I am looking at seems to have leather, power seats, and a power sunroof.

I am not purchasing this from a Ford dealer so I would like to know if anyone knows of a company that sells a good extended warranty (just in case).

I have a 2004 Adrenalin with 55,000 miles and I've never had any transmission problems. It's been a great truck for me.

No problems with my 04. Will turn 30K in a few weeks or so. There was a recall for the tranny to get an additive put in by the dealer. So far so good.

Along with what Gary D said see if you can get service intervals that state the ST was serviced according to the intervals specified in the manual at a minimum. If you do get the ST and the shocks have not been upgraded do so imediately as anything is better than stock.

Got a 04 4x4 no problems at 37k :D also got it 18k loaded everything but the ton. cover with 32k on the ticker.. oregon price :D well they wanted 22k but who pays sticker?

My 04 2WD, LS dif has 55,xxx on it. Only problem was dif clutch pack replaced under warranty. Otherwise, has been perfect. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Replaced shocks at 2,500.

My 03 tranny is rock solid and the truck had Minor things replaced, Most of them were nit picky stuff. Only serious thing was the rear end. (warranty at 11K miles)

The previous owner of my 04 Adren had the tranny go out at about 30K miles due to downshifting it while stopping at lights, So he kinda Blew it up...

The 04 is a good truck and I do agree the Price is a little high on the truck your looking at..

Todd Z

I have an 04 with about 40K miles on it now. I had the trans additive recall done after I put in about 3K miles on it I think. Then at 8K it started to slip. A solenoid was replaced and it was flushed. Problem gone. At 28K a much more noticeable slip began happening. This time the purchasing dealership put in an entirely remanufactured transmission and replaced the trans cooler as well (with in-line filter). Since then I've upped the EPC pressure a little and refrained from using performance tunes via custom EPC programs. The trans is behaving very well as far as I can tell and the Trac drives great. Recently however, my engine has developed a rattle around 2400-3000 rpms.

I've taken in my Trac for service for the following items also:

- Leaking rear differential

- Steering wheel vibration at slow speeds or when stationary

- Hard starting

- Several other minor items (bulb, weather strip, etc...)

Despite these things, I'm looking forward to a relatively trouble free experience the next 100K miles. This truck is the perfect combination of comfort, utility, size, and great looks!

Bought my 04 last April at 22K miles. Had everything except leather seating. Dealer history showed trans additive at 8K miles and routine maintenance, 1 owner. Had steering wheel,

( peeling), driver door weatherstrip, fuel filler neck, and rear deck cover lock all replaced before 36K miles. Dealer price was $23,500 I got it for $20,300 which included a 100K mile warranty. Drives very nice except for an occasional rattle, barely audible, coming from under dash. I read here, right before and was terrified to buy. It all worked out, good luck!

Funny, I bought my '04 in '04 with 150 miles on it (new) and took it out the door by paying just over 23K. Not sure why everyone is paying so much for used.

Interesting, I paid $19,500 for mine in May 2004! It's a white 4x2 XLT and I didn't have a trade-in! It now has a little over 12,000 miles. The fuel gage unit quit last month, but it was covered under the original warrenty.

Flip...my MSRP was almost $31K for my '04 XLT Premium 4x4....I negotiated to under $28K based on Edmunds TMV, then got 4K in rebates and other incentives. My price was somewhere just over 23K. From that I traded in a 2000 Impala that gave me another $6K credit, I put down about $1,500 down to cover taxes, tags, title, etc, and ended up financing around 17K at 0.9% for 60 months (which was less money out of my pocket then taking a lesser rebate and getting 0.0% financing...I did the math).

Ford was pretty much giving away '04 STs in the summer of '04.

I expect they will do the same with the '07s this summer.

TJR

todd z, " the previous owner was downshifting at stop lights and kinda blew it up "

more like the previous owner was downshifting at high rates of speed and " bucking " the vehicle ! get it straight !

buyer beware, that didn't stop me after i had the new tranny put in :p

btw, why do you think i got rid of it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks TJR. Unfortunately there were only $1000 worth of rebates with the 0.0%APR when I got mine July of 04!!! Man, you got an awesome deal.

Latest posts