What to look for in 2004 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
05 XLT 4x4 28k miles and not a problem out of it at all. I did replace the stock shocks and as everyone here will tell you that is a must.

Best vehicle I have ever owned and the most versitle. I have not run into a situation yet that the trac cant handle. It is very comfortable on long road trips, handles heavy loads to the dump, carries large loads on long road trips nicely (two trips to Tenn to bring my girlfriends furiniture back to my house), plenty of room for four adults and beach gear for the summer trips to OBX, and with the locking stock ton. cover I can puts items in the back and secure them.

When I bought mine I went online and got the invoice price and had the print out with me when I went to the dealer.

"There was a recall for the tranny to get an additive put in by the dealer. So far so good".

Really, I have been reading this forum daily for months now and never knew this, I also did not see it when doing research on TSB and recalls. Whats the deal, I have a 2004 with 16000 miles should I have the dealer do this additive thing I doubt the previous owner had it done as he rarely used it, it just basically sat in his yard.

16,000 for a 2wd with 47,000 seems a bit much, I paid 17,500 for my 2004 4x4 XLT with only 7000 miles 9 months ago. (of course I got real lucky on this deal I think)

Firedog,

There was a "recall" for '04s to have transmission additive put in. Seems the factory tranny fluid was incorrect. A friction modifier was added.

Take your ST to a dealer. They should know about the recall and can do a check against your vin to see if the recall service was ever done.

TJR

Thank you TJR is there anywhere I can get a print out on this recall as I have already had one go around with the dealer about a TSB and once I brought in the actually print out on the TSB they took right care of it.