Well it is decision time :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had my engine rebuilt as previously posted, and I picked it up at the end of December. Two weeks later at 1:30 in the morning driving home it died, and would not start. It was determined that at least no. 1 & 4 cylinders have no compression. :angry: :cry: :sad: Yes, I am taking the mechanic that did the work to small claims court to get my money back. My son & I looked up the value of my ST on KBB, and it is worth less that what it would cost to have a shop put in a new engine. :throwup:

I am curious as to what would you guys do. Cut my losses, or find the money to fix it?

Note: The gen 1 ST's need to have the timing chain issue addressed. If I have done that one thing I would not be in this possition.

Last edited by a moderator:
That REALLY sucks Rodger and wish you the best.

Looking at what the truck is worth is what dealers tell you to get you into something new

You should look at what its going to cost to replace the truck. That will make the new motor and keeping the truck look financially more attractive. Of course that assumes the truck is in good condition except for the motor.

What MikeVT said. Look at the cost to replace your ST and how much you like it.

Once when I was trying to decide whether to fix the rust and repaint the Ranchero I had at the time or give up and get something else, a friend told me "You'll know in about a year and a half if you did the right thing." Yeah, that didn't help much then either, but he was right.

Like said above, it all depends on how much you like the ST and how you use it and how you think a different vehicle will satisfy those needs.

MikeVT, Duane & Patrick,

I love :love: my ST that has been to 3 National meets in '04, '05 & '06. It is very good condition for being almost 12 yrs. old. But, it does have about 190k miles on it. I addressed all of the known issues except the one mentioned above, the timing chain. The shop that I took it to fix it wants $5600 to drop in a new engine; parts & labor. I am looking for both at new crate engine to reduce the cost, and at the possibility of a new vehicle.

Hey Roger,, Last March I had FORD put in a new 5.4 when mine blew up. 92K miles. It cost 4000$ swapped/installed, with a FORD crate engine....

FORD does engine swaps?

thats news to me....any more info you could share LaRue?

also i hear a lot about the timing chain issue.....what is it and should i be worried.....

04 ST here with 114k miles and planning to keep it till it wont run.

thanks in advance.

And that Ford engine comes with a 3 year, unlimited mileage parts AND labor warranty good at any Ford or Lincoln dealer regardless of who installs it.

Yes Dealers install NEW ford engines......

Rodger, The tranny was just rebuilt, and now the motor...... Get the money back, OR have the rebuilder honor the warrenty and replace the engine..... See how it is for a few months, if ok, Keep if Not, Sell and move on....

there has to be a warrenty, IF not that was a bad choice to go that route....

make the rebuilder fix it..

Todd Z

Why not first do some proper diagnosis work and see exactly what is wrong with your engine, and get an estimate to fix it. It sounds like you don't really know what you are dealing with here. You may not need a new engine.

Only you can decide if you want to keep the trac for sentimental reasons.

You will have to consider the real and tangible costs to move ahead for the alternatives you have.

For me, the "hassle factor" is very expensive. I realize that anything can be rebuilt and repaired to stay on the road forever, but after 3-4 months of huge repairs or being stranded, I am quickly done with it. I sell it for what I can get and move on. Others don't think like me. It also depends on how severe your need for your Trac is. If you have other transporation options, you might be willing to mess with it.

The biggest mistake is considering "sunk costs" in your decisions. You might think that you have to keep it for a few years to "get your money out of the past repairs", but that is irrational thinking. Always ignore past sunk costs. Only consider where you are at present, and the costs to move forward. Trying to justify sunk costs will just bury you quickly under poor decisions.

As for KBB, that is only a guide. The true value of any vehicle is how much you can sell it for. You may get KBB value, or you may get half of KBB value. How much a vehicle is worth only plays into a proper decision as to its "residual/scrap value" if you want to sell it to move on. The value to you may be a whole lot different than what you can sell your Trac for. The question to ask yourself is "what could I sell it for, and what could I turn arouind and buy with the cash from the sale?" Only then can you decide what your value of your Trac is. If you can sell it and only buy a rusted out Yugo with the proceeds, it doesn't matter what KBB says it is worth. Th trac is obviously worth more to you than a rusted out Yugo. (or maybe not- maybe you would be happier with a rusted out Yugo), but that is your decision, not KBB's.

It sounds like you want to keep your trac, and that is OK. I would at least diagnose what you have right now, and get a cost to fix it. Only then can you decide on the best course of action. A junkyard engine may be a great deal, but you don't know its history or what you are getting. Knowing what you have can be worth quite a bit if you get stung on something else. It may not take much to fix your current issues. Find out before freaking out!

Hope this helps. Good luck.

What is the issue with the timing chain ??

I have 180K on a 2005 ST and have never had an issue.

SHould I just change the chain to be on the safe side ??

Pete

Rodger,

I see I missed your phone call, sorry about that.

I suppose this was your issue? Are you saying the rebuilder wont honor a warranty? Is that, the small claims issue?

A respectable shop would give X/K miles and X months. Sounds as if he is not. IMO he should have paid for the timing tools, not you. It is hard to find a good independent nowdays.

The smaller the city, the less choices you have. I was looking online for independent ASE mechanics for my MOM. The ones that claimed they were in the listings. They werent', they lied to the registry or something. So her only choices are ford dealers. Both about 45miles round trip. They both screwed us on parts. Then lied about things. To upsale unecesary work. Including work I had already done.

Timing chain rattle resolution process - SOHC V6

O.K. . . . Here's the reason that I took it to a shop rather than having the mechanic that rebuilt the engine correct the problem.

Two years ago on Valentines Day he lost his 5 1/2 mo. old son to SIDS. He then spent to much time at a local bar drinking, and lost his business. That should have been a red flag to me. When I towed the vehicle back to his home, on Monday the 14th, to correct the issue. The next day was not a good day for him and he said that he would rather see the ST burn & have his home owners ins. reimburse me which I did not want that to happen. Rather than have someone with a drinking issue attempt to fix the engine I will see if I can find

I wish I have known about Ford putting in new crate engines I might have gone that route.

I am going to have it towed home in the next couple of days.

Timing chain issue is mostly 2001 and 2002 problem.

I did mine in 2011, the job wasn't difficult just took three days to do. Have to pull the engine and buy an OTC kit for timing the cams. The parts ran about $600 from Rock Auto and the actual engine work took about four hours. The rest of the time is pulling the engine and re-installing.

[Broken External Image]:

When I towed the vehicle back to his home, on Monday the 14th, to correct the issue. The next day was not a good day for him and he said that he would rather see the ST burn & have his home owners ins. reimburse me

Rodger,

Im lost. Are you saying, he had a drinking problem when he rebuilt the motor. Or he is drinking now and the booze has him depressed now, and would rather set it on fire than fix his mistake. Feb.14 is still 2 weeks away. He is just getting his excuses together, to pull a major drunk. If so I would take him to small claims. He needs to find out he is accountable to customers and not the booze. He is full of alcoholic excuses for his life. His words were designed to get rid of you. He already spent your $$ @ the bar.

I myself and Bob and mark. We know about excuses to get high or drunk. I could come up with some good ones. Though they were BS. The best ones were look what happened to me. The excuses were still BS. But they sounded good for the time...LOL. Plus they gave the enabler in the family, a reason to feel good about themselves also.

Do not feel sorry for him and let it slide. Maybe the small claims will be his bottom. So he will sober up and deal with the addiction. Also deal with the greif.

Sorry I dont mean to sound mean. On 2-22-13 I have 25yrs of sobreity. So Im kinda matter of fact.

Eddie,

Are you saying, he had a drinking problem when he rebuilt the motor. Or he is drinking now and the booze has him depressed now, and would rather set it on fire than fix his mistake.

Both! Enough said . . .

My son seems to think that I am probably looking at another rebuild if it is the rings, but if it is spring on the upper end of the engine then it would not be as much. I am really in a delima as to what to do.

Latest posts