Well it is decision time :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rodger,

Does the motor turn over? Or is it locked up?

If locked up I suspect it droped valves in those 2 cylinders. That will also destroy the pistons and posibly the block.

If it broke the compresion rings. If you are lucky, the cylinders might be able to hone them. The compresion ring rides high on the piston on the 4.0L SOHC motor. So it is possible the comprsion ring lands broke.

I would find a mechanic with a good bore inspection camera. Might be able to see thru the spark plug hole the damage.

If it is locked up I suspect too much damage, to tear it down again.

I dont know how cali small claims works. In texas, unless it has changed. If you win. They dont force the defendent to pay you. Freinds That have won had to pay a fee for (something) justice.

A constable can go to their home and take what ever can eqaul the value of your award. They can only take things that is not necesities of life or their job. If they own any property or titled vehicles. You can put a lean on it. The lean will have to be satisfied before they can sell it. When ever that might be.

It stinks that the small claims courts cant take $$ from their bank acount. Never had to myself, but freinds and my ex won settlements. They never got a dime.

Maybe cali is different. I dont know how much you paid. Maybe you can get him forced to pay up $$. Possible to get more than you paid. Put it towards a crate motor. Or low milage used. Lot of them out there.

Im sorry for sounding like a grouch, earlier. Since I came from that back ground. Though Im sorry for the loss of his son. I dont have much sympathy for an addicts excuses. Im dealing with one now. He is still bindging. We have a recovery support group at church. Hard to tell if he is sincere. The only time he will realy talk to us. Is when he is high.....

Last edited by a moderator:
You have two totally separate issues:

1. The Drunk. He is done, and should not touch your truck again. You can try to recover costs from him, but you may or may not get payment. Personally, I wouldn't mess with him. I would not want that mess in my life. I would wash my hands and move on.

2. Trac. You need an evaluation by a good engine mechanic to see what you have and how bad it is. Then you can decide best route (repair, crate engine, junkyard donor, etc.). We can guess and speculate, but no one here can diagnose it over the internet or phone. Someone is gonna have to lay hands on it. The inspection scope Eddie mentioned, and other tools should be handy. Maybe call around and ask who does good major engine work in your area. Around here, even the independents and dealerships sublett a lot of this kind of work to two shops that have great reputations and do great work. Most of the shops around here do not want to do major engine work or they don't have the seasoned mechanics to know how to diagnose it properly, so they just send it out. You need to find that kind of shop.