vehicle speed sensor/throttle position sensor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Rutt

Reaction score
Is a vehicle speed sensor and / or a throttle position sensor the same sensor or are they different ?

I have a 99 Mercury Tracer with 75,000 and every now and then the tranny has an odd shift.I took it to a reputable trans shop in my area and after driving it off and on for a few days they replicated the odd shifts.They said there were no codes and they think the tranny is fine but they suspect the TPS may be bad.

Thanks in advance,Markr

They are not the same, BUT on newer cars the tranny can use information from the TPS to shift the trans, kick it down and stuff like that...

The TPS is mounted on the side of the throttle body, The VSS is located on the transmission.

Todd Z

TPS at least on the trac is only $20 might be worth the gamble assuming the TPS is one of the possible causes.

I found it on the Tracer.It's on the side of the throttle body.It is a cheap part so I am going to replace it.

The only question I have yet is, must I disconnect the battery to replace it ?I guess it wouldn't hurt.It looks like it's just 2 screws and a connector.