Update on Supercharged Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iridium plugs are usually much better then platinum in boosted engines because of the high heat levels they produce. While an engine, espically a supercharged one, may not reach the melting point of platinum, the properties of a metal changes with heat, and as a metal gets hotter, it becomes more resistive. Simply, the hotter a metal, the worse it carries an electric charge. If you've got a metal, like iridium, that is about half as resistive as platinum, then even at the high temperatures of combustion, the resistivity of the electrodes of the sparkplug will still be the same, if not lower, then a platinum plug at room temperature. And Baron, you're right for wanting to go with a cooler plug, again because of the higher combustion temperatures, it's important to keep the tip of the plug as cool as you can. They are only "gimicks" if you don't understand the physics, or the physics don't add up, which in the case, the physics are there.

NGK makes iridium plug, usually cheaper then Denso, may want to check those out too.

Last edited by a moderator:
the problem is that my local auto zone (which is one of only three auto parts stores in 40 miles and it's BY FAR the largest) only has densos, unfortunately. I doubt the truck would make it to the next town over without damaging something. So I'll probably spring for the densos, as much as I hate to. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

I would be happy to sign up for the Explorer Express SportTrac Supercharger Development Evaluation Team. I would only charge them $10,000 to install a blower kit on my Trac and let them pay my gas bill for me to drive and evaluate it.

;)

fmarano, you're right.

Ok, plugs/wires are changed and I am now firing on all 6 cylinders again, the truck is nearly back to normal. I still hear that "thunk" sound at idle. One of my plugs was completely fubar. It rattled when I shook it even! None of them looked fouled though, or damaged in any way (other than normal wear). It runs just about like it did when I first had the xcharger put on there.

I have NO idea what the thunking sound is though, or where it's coming from. I think now that it's running semi-properly is the perfect time for me to visit my local ford and pontiac dealerships to look at a Mustang GT and a GTO. My patience is running rather thin these days with the supercharged trac...

GTO > GT

BTW, There are a few superchargers for the GTO as well...maybe even a turbocharger system now. Check out <a href="http://rksport.com/" target="top">RK Sport</a> to check out both GT and GTO aftermarket stuff. <a href="http://arrowheadperformance.com/" target="top">Arrowhead Performance</a> also has some GTO stuff.

Wow, spent $4 grand on upgrades that will be given away on a trade? Show me how to get money to burn like that :)

Darin,

If you wanna buy it, I'll sell it to ya, cheaper than retail! ;)

There's a video on streetfire.net that shows a ride in a supercharged GTO. The guy damn near breaks the cameraman's neck. haha

hey baron,

if you ever get it running right, I have a set of tires, Michelins at that, that you can have if you will go do burnouts down to the belts with them and get it on video/pictures.

I really would like to know who those 80 some people who bought the Xcharger before him are. We've only heard of 2 people who have only had problems with it. You would think they would try to promote good news?

I was thinking the same thing as JK ll, have not heard of anyone with one that worked right on this website.

I'm basing my information that I am number 86 on what Dave told me when I bought the xcharger. I have no idea who the other 85 people are. I do believe that there is one person who bought one after me so far too. I guess a lot of 'em are going on rangers, but I've never seen or heard of a supercharged ranger anywhere that I've been.

Jeff, Are you serious??? I agree, it would make an amazing video, but do you realize how long it would take to grind a set of tires down to the belts?!? I'd love to do the burnout, but I'm not sure I can guarantee that it will be down to the belts. I have seen people do burnouts until their tires literally blew up and/or went flat...that usually happens before they hit the belts. lol, now you've got me wondering if it is possible to actually DO that. You guys are a VERY bad influence on me!!

;)

I got 5 tires sitting in my closet that aren't being used, and I don't own any rims that they will fit on. Far as I can see, this is the best cause to send them to.

Oh, and it doesn't have to be down to the belts, but I think a several good tread marks,, pics, video, etc would be required. Oh, and you have to pay s/h, but they're yours.

[Broken External Image]:

Hah! You can't even see the front skid plate, jugs of oil up on the shelves, and pieces of my back panel.

Latest posts