Update on Supercharged Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, First things first, If you make that kind of mod to a vehicle, It is almost law that you upgrade the plugs and wires immediately!! Never take a chance of a bad plug fouling you up...

The popping noise is more than likely a timing issue... sounds way too advanced to me.. You could still have something wrong with the Maf, a sticky valve or bad plugs and wires..

Hopefully it is not a cylinder going bad.....

Todd Z

AUTOLITE Part # APP103

GAP .054 {PLUGS Double Platinum}

**Sold in packs of 4** More Info

$3.82 $0.00 $3.82

MOTORCRAFT Part # AGSF22FM

.054 Gap Plug; Explorer Sport Trac {discontinued} More Info

$3.90 $0.00 $3.90

MOTORCRAFT Part # AGSF22FMF6

Plug; .054 Gap; Explorer Sport Trac More Info

$3.90 $0.00 $3.90

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that just my luck, I have a 6-cylinder vehicle and have to buy spark plugs in packs of 4?!? ;)

I think I might go with the denso iridium plugs. Hopefully I can do this myself and I won't have to take it to the Ford dealership and pay $80/hour for them to stand there and tell jokes with a wrench in their hand while the meter is running on my truck.

Baron_iv, you should be able to change them yourself. You just need to take your time and be prepared to leave some DNA on parts on the pass. side. I put Bosche +2's in mine about 10k ago and no problems with them, but as stated before, you may want to go with the Iridium style because of the SC.;)

yeah, I don't recall ever SEEING the spark plugs on the passenger side, so they're buried. This should be fun. hehe

You have to rely on "feel". Find the plug, get the wire off (part of the project that left a DNA trail a blind CSI could follow), and then get the damn socket on the plug in a tight space. Took me about 1 1/2 hours to do the three on the pass. side and about 20min to do the driver's side.;)

WHOA! The Denso Iridium plugs are $20 EACH! Are they WORTH that kinda money? No other plug I can find is over $10 (which is about what I figured I'd pay).

What about E3 plugs? They've got a rather unique design which should allow for a pretty large spark when compared to the "traditional" spark plug.

I'm going to go a couple of ranges cooler in the plug "hotness", which should also make it a bit easier to FOUL OUT. I can see this is going to be a lot of learning. Let's hope I don't destroy anything while "learning", since I am inclined to break things anyway.

List of things Dave needs to add to the EE kit, in addition to what I have already mentioned:

Cooler Spark Plugs

Edit: thanks stonemeister. I'm going to have my dad help me. I'll say I'm doing the drivers' side and he'll naturally gravitate toward the passenger's side. Looks like I'll get to hear a lot of "you've gotta be kiddin me" and "why on earth did they make them so damn hard to get to" tomorrow. haha

Ok, I was just pricing online so I'd know approximately how much I'd have to pay, $12 is a big relief and there's an auto zone 5 minutes from here, so I'll go once smallville is over. Do you happen to have the part number on those Jeff? I looked on Densoiridium.com and they didn't list anything for the trac. I also cross referenced the numbers earlier in the thread and they didn't really amount to much either. The guys at autozone may or may not give me the right plugs if I go in there, it would be handy to know beforehand.

Anybody have any idea how cold I should go? The denso plugs go from a range of 9 (mega hot) to 35 (mega cold). I was thinking something in the 30-31-32 area would probably be right.

Also, I was reading the denso page, trying to get more information and I ran across the link at the bottom, does this make ANY sense to any of you? Why on earth would changing a plug make the vehicle idle slower or run at a lower engine RPM at highway speeds?

baron-

I'm curious, when you first got the S/C put on, you were understandably very excited and said it was the best thing you (could) ever do to the Trac, and would recommend it to anybody. Now that you've had to live with it for a while, would you still agree?

Iridium plugs are good for boosted vehicles, but really you shouldn't go too much colder then stock. Go to far and you'll hurt performance again. Idealy, you'd want to take it in steps, with a dyno and diagnostic equipment, to see what's best.

By your assesment, it STILL seems like EE has got a bit more work to do on the kit to make it the caliber of other kits, where once you install it and dial in the final tune, you don't have to worry about anything, except buying new rear tires. Wonder if that Hennessy Ram you saw the other has these kinds of troubles.

Well, I'm still debating if I recommend it to "anyone". At this point, I wouldn't recommend it to people who don't know quite a bit about engines. You do introduce a lot of extra stress and heat to your engine and increase the likelihood of damage. The power gained is amazing, there's no doubt about it. If you're accustomed to driving fast, high-power vehicles (before this truck, and the blazer before it, I had NEVER owned a vehicle with less than 300 horsepower...Mustang cobras, Trans Ams, Camaros, etc) the xcharger will make you feel a bit more "at home". I am accustomed to having tons of power at my beck and call.

If you feel comfortable diagnosing minor problems that may come along with your engine, then I'd say go for it with the supercharger. If you're going to drive the crap out of the truck, don't get the supercharger, go buy a car/truck that's designed to be fast, such as a Lightning or Mustang GT.

I would like to see EE go with a fuel pump that is compatible with the sport trac. Doug told me that the fuel pump provided with the xcharger kit is from a focus, it's a pulse-modulated fuel pump. The fuel system on the sport trac is designed to work with a constant voltage fuel pump, NOT pulse modulation. I suspect that this could cause some problems down the road, even if it doesn't initially. Feeding constant voltage into something that isn't MADE for constant voltage is bound to cause problems sooner or later.

I would also like to see Dave get someone to actually tune EACH and EVERY sport trac that has the xcharger kit on it. No two tracs are alike, so one "canned" tune isn't going to fly since there are so many mods that a person can do to their vehicle. I don't know how Dave could do that, I suspect that he would have to have multiple tuners throughout the country, who would be willing to tune the tracs after an xcharger kit is installed. It was very thoughtful and generous of Doug to come up, spend his day and try to tune my trac. However, I don't think that he should have given up until the problem was FIXED, or he had a definite diagnosis on what the problem was. As it stands now, my problem could be injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel rails or any of a dozen other things. In all fairness, I went with a 0.2" smaller pulley, which would allow a little more air to be forced into the cylinders, but it shouldn't make all that much difference in the grand scheme of things, and the supercharger was still running well within its rated limits. Now I have switched back to the "stock" pulley, and I am still having all kinds of troubles. The very day I put the supercharger on I started hearing that thumping noise, however, it never had any adverse effect on performance and it happened so rarely that I didn't think much about it.

Explorer Express has only sold 80-something of these kits, so I guess they're still in the learning process. However, it doesn't seem to me like they're doing much to continue learning. I mean Doug had NEVER tuned an xcharged sport trac, mine was the first, yet he is THE person EE uses to get the tunes from. It seems to me that EE would want everyone's experience to be as positive as possible, so getting any problems ironed out would be the first order of business. I haven't heard from Dave since the whole tuning fiasco last week. I will probably write him sometime this week, to let him know what's going on. Doug said he talked to Dave, and explained my problem(s) to him.

I just think I'd do things a bit differently if I was the person selling these kits. That's just my 2 cents worth.

So no, I wouldn't recommend them to MOST people who feel that they want a faster trac, at least not at this time. Once the tuning/tuner issue is fixed, as well as a proper fuel pump, and an INDIVIDUAL tune for EACH and EVERY new xcharger sold, then I would. When I say an individual tune, I don't mean telling Dave your engine code, I mean having Doug, Wayne o

Also, I went to autozone, they only had ONE temperature of denso iridium. It doesn't say on the box if they're mega hot or mega cold plugs, but the guy behind the counter said they're "probably hotter than stock". They're part number 5035.

I will try to post the link at the bottom to all the plugs listed by auto zone. Not sure if it will work for everyone though, unless you happen to have 2003 sport trac listed as your type of vehicle. They carry about 15 different kinds of spark plugs, none of which are any "colder" or "hotter" than any other and I have no idea how to tell the difference, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I know that on some brands, you can tell by the number if they're colder or hotter, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the denso plugs.

Well, see, that's the problem baron, this kit was in development for probably close to three years, at least two, before it came out to the public. Given that time frame, most of these little things, like the fuel pump, shouldn't be a problem. Granted, EE doesn't have the budget of Whipple, Hennessy, Rousch, or any of the other big-name tuners, but that doesn't mean you can put out a product that doesn't perform as advertised, or intended. The kit may work beautifully on the Ranger and Explorer, but if it doesn't work on the ST, and you know about it, don't market it for the ST.

I can't say that the product wouldn't work as intended on someone else's trac. It just happened NOT to on mine. The other 80-something people who have one might have never had a problem with it at all. I just don't KNOW these other people, so I really have nothing else to base my comments on. I'm sure there will be others here who will buy it, and then we will have a bit more data to pick through to see if it's the kit or a particular part within that kit, or even individual vehicles which are the problem.

I do think that the fuel pump should be changed immediately, unless there is a very good reason for using an improper pump, and I wouldn't recommend buying the kit until that's all hashed out. If you feel that you know someone who can tune it for you, then by all means, go for it. I wouldn't take the "standard" tune as a perfect example of how things are supposed to work since every trac is different. Once I get my spark plugs changed, which will HOPEFULLY fix my problem, I plan on getting in touch with Wayne so he can try tuning this beast. If HE can't tune it, I really don't know what I'm going to do with it.

As of right now, I'm holding back on my recommendation for everyone though.

I think a call to EE is in order...

I would also yank every plug and do a compression check on the motor... even a hair line crack in a head gasket could cause that popping...

Then quit with the crazy gimmick plugs... Get a cooler set of auto light plugs, 8mm or larger ignition wires and start from there...

Also if the pulse pump is constantly running it will produce a hell of a lot pressure and flow...

Need to get a fuel pressure Gauge on that thing also...

Todd Z

I wouldn't really describe the sound as "popping". If you went outside and tapped on your airbox or intake tube with a piece of thick, soft wood, you'd hear a "thud". It doesn't sound metallic. It sounds like it comes from a piece of plastic. It's rather difficult to explain the sound. I think the easiest thing for me to do would have been to post a video of the sound it makes. If changing the plugs tomorrow doesn't help, I'll get a video and post it here. It doesn't SOUND like anything that the spark plugs would fix, but I don't think it'll hurt to change 'em anyway.

You sure you don't just wanna buy the trac Todd? I'll sell it mighty cheap! haha

Baron,

Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on gimmick plugs. Put OE plugs in there and buy a set of Taylor-Vertex wires.

Tom

I need to go cooler than OE most likely. For every 50-75 horsepower, I need to go one plug-type cooler. So I'm figuring 2 cooler than stock.

The OEM plugs are platinum, there are a dozen different brands/types of platinum plugs out there. However, based on the properties of iridium, it does seem like a more sensible choice. Theoretically, iridium plugs should handle the increased temperatures and pressures that the supercharger adds.

I kinda doubt I'm going to go with the Densos, since they're insanely expensive, but I probably will go with iridium.

I used to understand plug designation, it has been a while.

I know the AGSF specifies the thread, taper, and thread length. I know the FM means it is a fine wire platnum electrode. WM means it is iridium.

The 22 is the heat range. The number going up or down is cooler? I forget.

Tom

Latest posts