Trying to get pats key blank cut

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Rutt

Reaction score
I've been to 3 different places and asked if I brought in a blank pats key if they would cut it and so far no one seem to want to do it.They were all automotive stores and the general response was "they need a certain machine to do those".

Are they full of it or am I just running into a bunch of idiots?

One local locksmith would only cut a key if I purchased the blank from him for $35 which he didnt have in stock anyway.

I did a search and saw that some of you have used Wal-Mart,Home depot and Ace hardare.

The $35 price was better than the dealer but I'm trying to save as much as I can.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,Markr

Markr,

They are full of it, or they just don't know. Cutting Pats keys is just like cutting a regular key....absolutely no difference. Most of Ford's Pats keys a double sided so the key pattern is cut into both edges of the key, but that's common in a lot of automotive keys. The chip in the Pats keys has no effect on cutting the key portion.

I think GM keys may be a bit different since there is something on the blade of the key that appears to be an oval shaped plug. I don't know if that's the chip, or what it is, but that may interfere with their key cutting machines, but the Ford Pats key should pose no problem.

Most hardware stores around here can and will cut the keys, they just don't stock the Pat's key blanks. I think because of they cost of the blanks and the possiblitly that they may cut it worng, makes it an expensive proposition and may be why they won't cut Pats keys.

...Rich

I have had Home Depot and Ace hardware stores cut them for me....

They were both free too....

Todd Z

Go to the dealership and tell them it was a birthday gift from your wife. They will cut it.

Tom

I had the same problem, drove up to the local locksmith that my company does business with in my company truck. I ask them to cut a key from my blank and they looked at me like I was a criminal or something. The woman turns around and speaks in german to another person then she says we can't cut this, it's too hard on our machine.

So I go to another key cutting place and after explaining I am trying to beat the Ford man out of $100 and I got the blank for $13 on ebay and I wouldnt hold them responsible if it didnt work they agreed to cut it for me. It was a mom and pop store with the tiny key cutting machine. She gave me the cut key and said go try, so I checked it on the door lock. It worked. I went back into the store and said it works what do I owe you. She says nothing, you brought your own blank, no charge. Nice people.

Ace Hardware and Home Depot both refused to cut mine but a locksmith down the street did it and only charged me $2.

My local Home Depot cut mine, for free. Though I did have to explain to the guy doing the cutting how to program his pats key in his Tauras.

TJR

Took mine to the Ford Dealer. The chart on the wall said $10.00 to cut since I didn't buy it from them. Then charged me $25. I complained to manager and got it for the $10.00 fee.

They blew it and had to recut and replace it. After that didnt feel so bad about paying the tn-bucks.

PS Did not give that dealer any of my business after that, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a question. If I have a key cut and only have ONE other key can I still program it myself by using the first ket TWICE in the programming?

If I have a key cut and only have ONE other key can I still program it myself by using the first ket TWICE in the programming?

No you can't, but I don't think it would hurt anything if you tried it just to be sure.

Tom

I had to get new keys for my old Expy took the blanks I ordered online to Ace hardware they said they wouldnt cut them in case they didnt work. I said if they don't I'm the one out $30 so they cut them I programed them never had any issues. I even got the cool clear ones. And they didnt cost me $65 a piece like ford wanted. James

www.nvo.com/chipkeys

I bought my PTS key on eBay for $12 but my local Home Depot would not cut it. They did not want to be responsible if they cut it wrong especially since they did not have the blank to replace it. A local locksmith cut it for $2.

I'm gonna check out this website that sells the clear ones.....