Transmission going

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy Griggs

Reaction score
Trans is reving (slipping I guess) when I shifts out of 1st (past 2 days). This morning on the way to work same thing, but the o/d light started flashing and when I pulled off from the next light, it felt like it started out in 3rd. I found a used tranny w/ 21,000mls for $595.00 with a 1yr warranty. I read the post on the simulated. 2nd gear and the silanoids getting clogged and how to clean or replace them. What do you guys think is the best route to take?

Billy

What is the mileage??.. If high, I would recommend replacing, May not be worth it..

You can a completely rebuilt tranny for 700 or so of ebay, or even a local shop... Then have some one do the labor, But if paying some one to install, it might be cheaper and les of a headache to just have it rebuilt...

Todd Z

Bill, Can go with a used, But who is installing?? If your paying some one to install It may be cheaper to have a place rebuild it and install it.

Search "5r55e" On ebay...

Todd Z

Nobody will give you a warranty on remove/replace labor if they did not install the transmission in the first place. Tben some will not warranty the remove/replace labor even if they did the initial install of the rebuilt transmission.

If the shop just orders the rebuilt transmission they often will not warranty the remove/install labor. However, if the shop did the rebuild themselves, they will often charge more but will waranty to remove/replace labor.

Regardless of which way you go, be sure to find out if they will warranty the remove/replace labor?? That's one of the problems with just buying a transmission from somewhere and having someone else to the remove/install work. They will never warranty the labor because the transmission you bought is bad.

...Rich

...Rich

That price gets it to my door. I'm trying to find a install price now. The dealership wanted $650 to swap out. That's pushing up on the rebuild price. How hard would it be to install it myself?

I do all types of work my self, One thing I normally don't play with is 4wd transmission swap..

It is a good days labor on a lift, 2 days on a driveway, and it is a heavy unit and normally not worth the headach....

Shop around..

Todd Z

Billy, I had a tranny problem a while back, had to have a new one due to the fact that the dealer diagnosed it as being "shot". dealer was going to offer me a huge bill to rebuild/replace it with a new one for around $3350... I got smart and decided that I didn't have that kind of money so I did what you did and searched the internet and found a "newsed" tranny from an 03' ST with 16,000 K from NY Block out of North Carolina for $595 and had it installed at another Ford dealer for an additional $450. They did a good job considering that it was done by a Ford tranny technician at a Ford dealership with a gentlemen's agreement, and not a traditional install that a dealer would not consider doing. The tranny is warranted for 1 year, parts and labor from the seller, and has a six month install warranty from the dealer. Just over a grand to do it compared to $3350. I'm happy, and whatever you do, be sure to get the right people to do it. I had other install options, but chose to let a certified Ford tech do mine. Good luck with yours, Billy.

:D;):)

I utilize a locally owned franchise of Mr. Transmission for most of my heavy duty rebuilds. They are good people and do great work.

What more can anyone tell me about this problem. I have just experienced the exact same condition 3 times in the last week. My first action was going to be a fluid/filter change. I also was unsure about the torque convertor. The trans shifts normally under higher acceleration, but slips between 1st and 2nd in "slow take off"

I really can not afford a rebuild now

Andy