Towing with bumper mount ball

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read some of the entries in the towing section and I think I know the answer just wanting to make sure. I have an 01 Sport Trac with just the bumper mount for a tow ball.

I need to make a trip from Atlanta to Ohio and back to pick up some miscellanious yard work stuff like a riding mower, yard tools, a deck table and chairs, BBQ grill, etc. I doubt that this will exceed the 3500# max load for the bumper mount. I will be towing a 5 x 10 flat utility trailer. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance

I see no problem with it at all.... JUST before you go re tighten the bumper mount bolts on the truck. They have been known to loosen slightly and move which will throw out your rear bumper alignment...

Here is a project on re aligning the bumper, BUT you can use it for help on how to tighten the bolts...

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Re-aligningTheBumper.pdf

Have a safe trip !!!

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I've towed before with a bumber mounted ball and there were no problems. Just be carefull when backing up or doing a tight turn so that you don't get the trailer at such a large angle off of center that the tongue damages the bumper. Now that is not likely to ever happen, but it can.

I agree, I don't see any problem pulling what you described from the bumper. But definitely tighten the bumper bolts before you do it.