Top governed speed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Peterson

Reaction score
I'm trying to find documentation or specs that show the top governed speed of the '01 Sport Trac. My boss's girlfriend got ticketed for going 102 m.p.h., and by boss thinks that's impossible.

If anyone could help or at least point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it.

-Ed-

I don't know what the governor is set at, but I'm pretty sure that I had my '01 above 100 mph before (not that I condone such behavior).

Rocks

I've got an '01 and I've been up to about 105.. I'd have to say it's possible but your friend would know he's doin 100 though..Unless he's in a Lexus or somethin.

The early 01 models did not have a governor. Ford started doing that on the later 01 model.

i have an 01 job 1 and mine cuts out at 97 or 98 mph, not to mention the speedo is off by 4 or 5 mph for me at that speed. which rear end does he have? and are they stock tires?

the 01 did have a governor and the only way to override it was to run a chip or program , tire size does not matter when the computer reads 98 or what ever it is govern for thats what it cuts out at

Last edited by a moderator:
Certain 01 st's did not have a speed Governor.....

Todd Z

I'd say 102 is as much as one will do. Speedos are usually pretty inaccurate at high speeds. The computer will shut it down around 95 to 100. Even without a governor, wind resistance is going to limit it to about that. Tell your boss to get his girlfriend a 4-cylinder Escape and keep her away from Mustangs.

Does it matter if she was doing 102 or 98? Both are well in excess of any speed limit in this country.

Here is what a crash at 100 mph will do to you.

***Caution, very graphic image***

My '01 Job 1 didn't have a governor on it until I installed a diablo chip

didn't want to waste money to have it reflashed again to remove it.

Before the chip, it was well over 105, probably closer to 110/115 range

Does it matter if she was doing 102 or 98?

In this situation, yes it does. If an officer says he clocked you at 102 MPH when it is impossible go that fast in your vehicle, the officer is either lying or his method of calculating your speed is wrong and is not admisable in court.

Tom

I haven't heard back on a court date yet, but I'm going to fight a ticket based on a PA traffic law I found saying that speed limit signs must be no more than 1/2 mile apart or "the posted speed limit is not effective". Signs are about 3.5 miles apart where I got nailed.

Tom: Radars and lasers are ALOT more accurate than a vehicles speedometer ... I have seen many that were off several miles an hour (or the DRIVERS were lying), some that were fairly new. Also, one of the criteria is officers observations, and 100 mph is quite noticable compared to 65/70 (max speed limit).

Last edited by a moderator:
Radars and lasers are ALOT more accurate than a vehicles speedometer ...

Never said they weren't, but if not calibrated correctly, 80 MPH could be confused with 100 MPH. If the ticket says you were driving 102 in a vehicle that can only go 98 MPH in, there is doubt created with the validity of the radar/Laser gun and/or its operator.

Now, if you are looking for an excuse to get out of a ticket when you were breaking the law, shame on you.

Get blamed for driving 102 MPH when you were only driving 80 MPH, you should get out of the ticket. Sure you were speeding, but you are blamed for going 102 MPH when you were only going 80. The ticket did not say you were going over the posted speed limit, it said you are going over the posted speed limit at XXX MPH. For the ticket to be binding, it much be correct and if the wrong speed is used, the ticket is not correct.

Tom

I have a 2004 sport trac, on a trip to vegas from salt lake 2 weeks ago the trac wouldn't go about 100... she would bounce right off 100 and slow down to 95 then back to 100.... no matter how far down i was on the gas.

I'm sorry, please forgive the up-coming rant, but I can't take it any more:

What the hell ever happened to taking it like a man (or woman)? How can it be that nothing is anybodies fault any more? Have our parents raised a generation of people whom take no responsibility for their own actions? For the love of Pete, when you do something that's against the law, and just plain stupid, and you get caught, take your punishment. Own up to the fact that you are in control of your own actions, for crying out loud. We pay people money because they buy coffee and spill it on themselves and sue because it was hot! We pay people money because they break into your house and your floor is wet and they slip and fall and hurt themselves! We have a multitude of excuses every time we are caught doing something stupid or illegal or morally corrupt. For the love of God, take the punishment that you knew full well was a possible outcome of your idiotic actions and quit the whining!

Thanks, I feel much better now.:)

What BigBear said. The best you can and should hope for in fighting it is a reduced sentence (say 90mph) to make up for any potential inaccuracies, and maybe drop the offense down to something the driver won't lose their license for. Other than that, take your lumps.

TJR

Latest posts