Took the truck to the stealership

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies to all. A change in "character" for me. I can't blame anything, nor anyone for my comments. Usually take the high road, didn't here.

Over reaction, yes. Out of line, definitely. Just trying to say, your ST is a 4200+ pound "Sport Utility Truck" (SUT), multi-purpose vehicle. Doesn't do any single thing exceptionally well, does MANY different things very repectably. In other words, don't expect more than it is capable of by exceeding it's limits. Something has to give, or worse, fail.

Have a great weekend gang !

Aloha, Steve

Attn: Dave S- :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: Thanks & Aloha Pal !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in your character I see Steve. Point taken and counter-point accepted.

Again, where is that thumbs up emoticon?

Dave, IF you asked for it, then there will never be one.... :D

I don't buy it!!!

I dont care.....

Todd Z

If I ask for it????????????????????

How about I dream it. Will BHO make it true for me as I have been lead to believe??

Nah, nevermind, I'll continue my personal search!!!

In the end, I fully believe I'll be MUCH MORE satisfied!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and your not related to gary s ????

Todd Z

Just something to think about. If you trac is payed off, $650 every 6 months that is cheaper than a car payment. Another perk is that insurance is cheaper as well.

I have had vehicles in the past that have taught me an important lesson in life.

When you take a vehicle off roading things are going to start to fail or break. Whether it be sand, mud, rocks or any other type of off roading this is reality.

Ben:

You have had problems, that is obvious and I can relate to your situation, but you have those issues fixed so the trick it to not help them break again.

I know from experience whether your friends want to admit it or not Toyotas and I'm sure the others do have problems, been there paid for that and those vehicles were/are expensive to fix.

Make sure you take a look at all angles before you decide to get rid of the trac. As a college student no payment is probably better than a payment especially if you still plan to off road.

A payment plus a repair bill is double trouble. Off roading damage is not usually covered on a warranty.

Keep your head in the game and don't let yourself get down maybe you've just climbed to the top of the hill with your trac and it's a downhill roll from here. :) :cool:

Ben,

Considering the age and the milage of this truck, most of the items repaired appear to be within reason. The rearend if not properly maintained and continously place in stressful situations will eventually fail. The 4x4 module is not an expensive item and easily replaced. Starter replacement is expected at least once during the first 100,000 miles unless mostly highway driven. Rear door handles and fog light switch probably more related to abuse than early failure. If everytime you get in the truck you lower the rear window the motor didn't fail, it has been exposed to excessive use. The stock stereo, maybe the original owner did remove it and then replaced it, but again, if every time you get in the truck you crank it all the way up, this could happen. And if the owner did remove/replace the unit, maybe during the re-installation (since he was selling the truck) he wasn't very careful. The gas tank, by your own admission was your fault. Fan clutch, typical maintence issue.

All of these parts will eventually fail and in some cases preventitive maintenance will give these parts longer life. I don't believe battery failure will cause issues with most electrical parts, however a short could, and when off-roading the truck is repeatedly placed under stress that the average truck is not.

As a student I can understand the frustration with spending several hundred dollars to repair/replace parts on a limited budget. However, a different vehicle will not be immune to many of these problems and will be just as costly. Actually, from the parts listed you have replaced, not excessive or expensive, except for the rear-end and the gas tank.

I have owned two STs, a 2005 and currently a 2009. Do I go off-road with the truck, no, and do I expect them to be cost free during the life of the vehicle, no. I do expect to repair the truck in the future as it gets older and the miles add up.

As someone earlier stated, this is just one of lifes little lessons. You will find in the future that the car needs to be fixed or the tires replaced, the house always needs some type of repair, that essentially your always going to be taking care of something and it never stops.

If you decide to purchase a new vehicle, it will be more costly in the long run. And if you decide to purchase another used vehicle, it will have it's own problems.

Good Luck with your choice but it is cheaper to keep her...

I think you guys think im taking this truck down some gnarly trails and what not. It is going on forest service logging roads. These are pretty tame to say the least. I have seen many a honda accord tackle these same roads. The truck has seen a trail maybe 3 or 4 times. My first post was worded poorly.

As for the rear end. I had the rear dif fluid changed out atleast once or twice before it went out. The main seal on the rear went out causing all my fluid to leak out and then metal on metal contact with no lubrication made the internals go out all within about a ten mile span of highway. Now I'm no expert nor do I claim to be one. But a rear end seal should not go out. (Isn't Ford legendary for their rear ends?)

The rear door handles (this is one that really bugs me) I have never seen another car/truck/suv with rear door handles that have been broken. The fact that they can be snapped by little tykes makes me even more leary of them (utter crap comes to mind).

Rear window motor. This is a very common problem on these trucks. Much like the door handle just because I lower/open something (not even excessivley) It should not fail. Its a simple servo motor.

This truck is well maintained when I see a problem I fix it. It's the sheer number of problems that I am complaining about.

Although it does not seem to matter because what I say falls on deaf ears.

Posted May 2, 2009

Well being the genius that I am I drove my trac across a river crossing that was just to much for it and got it stuck up to the door handles in water. After standing on my roof for 5 minutes I was able to flag down a good ol boy in an F250 and he pulled me out.

Ben, have you considered this to be the root of some of your problems? Water damage takes time for it to appear.

I had all the fluids changed after that occured. The truck ran problem free for 5k after that incident. Also that occured after the rear end had been replaced and numerous other issues I stated all occured before that incident.

Infact this is the first crop of problems to come up after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it was done by the same service center that services my fathers entire work fleet. They are very reliable and we have been customers with them for 15+ years.

must be that time of the month for a bunch of you guys, Ben's having problems with the truck, somewhat discouraged with it, and all you can do is jump his case because he drives his ST just like alot of you guys do, based on comments and pics I've seen on here. Guess when he goes off road, its abuse, but when everyone else does it, you're showing the true capabilities of the ST. There have been numerous comments/inquiries/gripes by several different members regarding the majority of Ben's problems/issues, some want to know how to fix/replace the rear window motor (are you guys using your rear window too much), interior door handles is another common thread, etc., etc., Guess if you're not in the "clique", then TFB buddy, right.

Ben, sorry you're having trouble with your ST, check back when everyone has taken their Midol, they might help you then, there are some knowledgable people on the site most of the time, but not always.

Jim p,

GREAT POST!

I was thinking the same thing myself, but I've had my stomache full of trying to lead people to the light on this board. Seems every has been trigger-happy lately and don't give folks the benefit of the doubt.

TJR

Than stop trying to be a mentor TJR, you do not talk tracs, cars, projects, DIY things, post pics of parts, maybe how to fix something trac related.

All you do is posture and demean people, your a bright guy for sure, but perhaps you should get off your holyier than tho highourse.

The rear door handles (this is one that really bugs me) I have never seen another car/truck/suv with rear door handles that have been broken. The fact that they can be snapped by little tykes makes me even more leary of them (utter crap comes to mind).

Actually I have seen them break on another vehicle. Toyota Sequoia.

As for the rear end. I had the rear dif fluid changed out atleast once or twice before it went out. The main seal on the rear went out causing all my fluid to leak out and then metal on metal contact with no lubrication made the internals go out all within about a ten mile span of highway. Now I'm no expert nor do I claim to be one. But a rear end seal should not go out. (Isn't Ford legendary for their rear ends?)

I fault this for whomever changed your fluid. I have never seen a seal fail that just lets all the fluid out in an instant without showing any type of failure before it happened. If the seal was starting to fail, you would have seen spots along with the person changing the fluid would see it. Either they failed to tell you or you failed to have it fixed when you were told. I don't know. Either way, anyone that works on a car should look at the underneith to make sure something doesn't bad. Leaking shocks, broken springs, broken exhaust mounts, leaking seals, etc.

Not pointing fingers, just saying...

I think you guys think im taking this truck down some gnarly trails and what not. It is going on forest service logging roads. These are pretty tame to say the least. I have seen many a honda accord tackle these same roads. The truck has seen a trail maybe 3 or 4 times. My first post was worded poorly.

...and you cracked a fuel tank on that road? The tank was already cracked or something. Service logging roads would not do that. I have climbed over some large logs with the wife's Explorer and never had an issue. This was before we had skid plates on it.

Rear window motor. This is a very common problem on these trucks. Much like the door handle just because I lower/open something (not even excessivley) It should not fail. Its a simple servo motor.

I have never had one fail on my Trac and I use it all of the time. Can't really comment more than that.

I was thinking the same thing myself, but I've had my stomache full of trying to lead people to the light on this board.

Is that possibly because we are right and you are wrong? You know what they say, if you think EVERYONE on the road is driving bad, the truth is you are the one with the problem.

Tom

HEY, how did i get dragged into this? :unsure:

btw, i won't have that trouble with my superior built and great off road 4runner ;)

Latest posts