Took the truck to the stealership

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Schepper

Reaction score
Well I took the truck down to the stealership to take a look at my gas tank. Turns out I did crack it off-roading. Also looks like my fan clutch went out (Which was causing a nasty noise, having changed the belt, idler, and alternator trying to get rid of it I gave up). Out $650 bucks. That hurts.

This will probably be the last couple months for me on this truck. It's been to much of a headache. It's a shame because the thing is so versatile.

Sorry to hear that Ben, If the sammamish your listing as location is in WA, think you can make the Seattle meet for a farewell to the trac?

I have been lucky and between the two trac's I have had, only the transmission recall on the 01 has been my worst issue with either one. Had nothing but good luck so far. But, I haven't taken either one truly off-roading, just some minor stuff.

Don't be a stranger to the site, even after you retire your trac!

The trucks been a headache...you take it off roading aggressive enough to crack your gas tank...

Maybe stop taking them offroad?

You need an SVT Raptor!

Ben,

So you did damage off roading and broke the truck your self....

Changed parts to find out what the problem was

and your blaming the truck ????

Sorry but it sounds like you don't want the truck any more and needed an excuse to get rid if it for something else....

Todd Z

Ben's stated his opinion which is good enough reason to me! No one else know what other "headaches" there were besides the latest. I mean J.H.Christ, it's an SUT, not a family member!

But yeah, if you are off road a percentage of the time...check out the Raptor!!! Then let me know what you thinm 'cause I can't find one around me!!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This will probably be the last couple months for me on this truck. It's been to much of a headache. It's a shame because the thing is so versatile.

This is like hitting your windshield with a hammer and then complaining that the windshield is not strong enough.

Doesn't make a lick of sense.

Tom

I drive the truck on fireroads biking alot. Being a semi pro rider I'm up and down the mountain quite abit. I have never seen any of my buddies with toyota's, nissans or other smaller trucks have the problems I have had.

-Rear End went out

-4x4 module

-Starter

-Both back door handles broke (how does that happen?)

-Fog light switch

-Back Window motor

-stock stereo straight crapped out (head unit and stock sub/amp)

-Gas tank

-Fan Clutch

There is more this is just what came up off the top of my head. This is only a seven year old truck...

I have had the truck for a little over 3 years now. Bought it with 50,000 miles on it and no problems whatsoever. Seems like lately (last year and a half) A new problem arises about every 6 months. I actually take pretty darn good care of the thing with regular maintenence.

As for the meet. I'm stuck in Pullman finishing up and probably wont be able to make it.

Does anyone commenting know how long Ben has had his ST? Does anyone commenting know exactly how many "headaches" other than the latest, his ST has given him during his ownership?

If so, I digress. If not, why the chastising? Although my 05 only has right at 40K miles on it now and to date has been problem free, I as well as others on here know that many ST's have given their owners "headache" after headache". Ben could quite possibly have one of them!

I'm just sayin...

It is BEYOND me how a ludicrous post such as this, can appear on this GREAT web site.

Absolutely ridiculous. Sell the ST and find better things to do. Like taking a sh**.

And WHO "broke" YOUR ST ?

How is my post ludicris? I am a college student. Shelling out $650 to fix my truck is a big deal to me. Having to keep shelling out for repairs is not high on my agenda of things to do.

Seeing as how this is a Sport Trac website I am complaining about my Sport Trac...;)

swshawaii:

Get a "life". Absolutely ridiculous

And your reply is as well!

Did someone hijack you account? Sure doesn't sound like one of your usual "feel good" replies!!!

Swshawaii,

It is BEYOND me how a complete and under fool as yourself, can appear on a GREAT web site. Absolutely ridiculous. Leave this site and find better things to do. Like learning how not to be a pri**.

Ben,

Your situation is unfortunate and I hope things work out better for you with your next vehicle if you decide to go that route.

Ben, I see that you are in my neck of the woods! I sent you an email about the trac meet. I get the feeling you wont be able to make it? That sucks, but again, sorry to hear about the trac, and about some of the posts responses. Been there, done that with my first POS car, having to pay for repairs that were out of my budget also.

Everyone , TAKE IT EASY !!!

My only point is you cant bash the truck if you may have cause some of the issues..

The thing is the truck was bought second hand with 50K on it.....

The previous owner could have beat it to a pulp.... Also to me 9 i may be wrong) ben is not a mechanic, so issues seem overwhelming....

Ben, if you fixed it your self it would be a lot cheaper, But if you cant then with buying any used vehicle it is a crap shoot at to what your buying....

-Rear End went out ( no service, filled with water, previous owner did something stupid

-4x4 module, Poor battery replacement procedure, or faulty part

-Starter Sounds like the truck had some sort of electrical issue. maybe connected to starter

-Both back door handles broke (how does that happen?) They are plastic, kids break them all the time on owners.....

-Fog light switch Maybe abuse from the previous owner, to rough with the switch

-Back Window motor that is a common issue, I will give that

-stock stereo straight crapped out (head unit and stock sub/amp) THE WHOLE THING ??? Sounds like the previous owner had some other stuff in there and switched it out prior to sale.. That could damage electrical parts like the 4x4 and switches..

-Gas tank - You did

-Fan Clutch Could be a bad part, or from the off road stuff.....

honestly To me it sounds like the previous owner beat it to death and sold it before it died...

But they way i beat my ST, if they were problematic and junk, mine would be dead, and sooo would many more on the board..

Todd Z

Actually when I bought it the thing was very clean. Had it inspected and all before purchasing. I looked at alot of different sport tracs before purchasing this one. As for the stereo what you say is probably correct. I do not know what the previous owner had in it.

I would same I am hard on cars but my 99 F150 I had before this took about the same abuse and did not have the same problems. The F150 was used in my fathers work fleet before I aquired it and had been driven on and around jobsites for 4 years.

Like I said I love the truck for its versitility and I am a Ford fan through and through but little things (and big things) going wrong (whether in my use of of the truck or small clitches that seem to add up in a hurry) gets very frustrating for a vehicle that is seemingly (7 years) not that old.

Maybe I'm just a complainer its been a rough week.:unsure:

But they way i beat my ST, if they were problematic and junk, mine would be dead, and sooo would many more on the board..

Amen. I've done a 180 in the trac with the emergency brake, and had some rather asinine 4x2 offroad trips. Shame Billy Mays died, cause I could use that fix and forget paint hoojit ;)

Todd Z.

The previous owner could have beat it to a pulp....

honestly To me it sounds like the previous owner beat it to death and sold it before it died...But they way i beat my ST, if they were problematic and junk, mine would be dead, and sooo would many more on the board..

WHAT??? Ben obviously has had problems whether at the hands of the previous owner, himself or poor quality out of FOMOCO...Contradictory at best!!!!!! I don't buy it!!!

First off....some people need to chill. The boy was just venting about a string of bad luck, he didn't say he was going to start shooting at people on this site, actually he never really bad mouthed the Trac, just said his had been giving him a hard time. He would have had less flack if he said he was trading his wife:D

Now my opinion on the Trac.

I think the Trac is an awsome truck.....**got to say it quick due to the 4 foot bed** ...for what it was intended to do. Which IMO is get you far enough down a trail to not be hearing honking horns from the highway.

Anyone needing more than this should consider

A) Some extensive modification to the Trac, or

B) Buy a vehicle that comes with a factory skid plate and less plastic.

Although I've had my Trac in places a lot of people on this board would not see their vehicles I would not consider my trac a trail vehicle by any means. I say this because I see a lot of shinny pictures:D and....well....my running boards speak for themselves.

D

Rear End went out ( no service, filled with water, previous owner did something stupid

Quite possibly the rear end was submerged with water and it was never addressed. Refrence cracking a fuel tank going off-roading.

Got a buddy at work that off-roads a Jeep. Everytime that thing goes off-roading, something breaks. Of course, his off-roading is not a path. It is very large rocks, but lets face it, roads are there for a reason.

Tom

Caymen,

If I may quote someone else (don't remember who) from a recent prior post, One word...

Jeep!!!!!!!!!!

Not a realistic comparison IMO.:eek:

Latest posts