tire brand good?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Comeaux

Reaction score
goodyear wrangler rt/s tires any good? i ask because i have one on my spare tire leading me to believe thats my stock tire and i like the way the tread looks. and for some reason i have 235/70 16 on my truck instead of 255 like the door sticker says

NOOOOOOOOOO.... :D

The oem tires are not that good, Try bridge stones, BFG, Michelin..

Todd Z

I have the Goodyear Fortera tire. Ther were OEM and were great. I bought my second set recently and kept with the same brand/model.

i use the Michelin, they are good for both mud and road. but they cost $265 at sears. or that`s what i paid three years ago. they are good tires and i love them alot better that stock.

Wranglers are junk. My truck slid in the rain so bad when it was new that I took them off at6000 miles.

Absolutely will not buy Wranglers.

I have about 40000 miles on my Mastercraft Courser HTR' s and have 8/32 tread left at inspection last week.

Having a hard time convincing myself to buy any other brand before winter.

Previously had Goodyear "Wrangler ST's" on my '05 XLS installed by the previous owner. Looking at the Goodyear web site there are 19 different variations of the "Wrangler" for SUV's and Trucks, including the RT/S model. It took me only 3000 miles of driving to replace them. They were brand new when I bought the ST at 46K. Replaced them with the new Michelin "Latitude Tour" street tires. Reviews refer to them as the quietest, fuel efficient, and longest lasting tire in their class.

Bold claim, lot's of competition. Not cheap though. Price (4) was $700 installed, balanced, and aligned. Like a different truck now. A HUGE improvement, everything claimed, and more.

P.S.- These are STREET tires. Your profile shows an '01 2WD. I assume NO off-roading for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like most things OEM, tires are a compromise on Cost to save Ford some money and meet the minimal requirements for that vehicle. Nearly all tire brands make make tires that will fit all vehicles with different features and quality.

If you want tires with a long tread life, you will generally sacrifice some wet weather traction. If you buy a tire with great wet weather traction, the softer tread compound will wear faster and give less tire tread life. If you buy a tire with an aggressive tread for off-road use, you will typically have a very noisy tire, etc.

You need to look at the tire ratings for Tread Wear, Traction, and Temperature. These ratings are molded into the sides of the tire. The higher the Tread Wear number, the longer the tread should last.

Traction is for Wet Weather traction and is rated A: is the best, B: is OK or so-so?, and C: is the worst. It is difficult to find A-rated Traction tires for trucks and they are typically significantly more expensive. I had Goodyear AquaTreads for trucks/SUVs on one of my Sport Tracs and they were great in the rain !!

Temperature is the ranking for the tires ability to withstand the buildup of heat. Again, A: is the best if you live in a very hot climate. B: is about normal, especially for truck tires, C: is the worst and I would never use a C Temperature tire here in Texas, but truck/SUV tires often only come in B or C temperature ratings.

Assuming that you are getting at least a B-Temperature rated tire, you must decide if Tread Wear or Traction is what you want in a tire. Also remember that if you buy a good/great wet weather traction tire, the traction will gradually diminish as the tread wears since the softer rubber compounds are often only used on the outer most part of the tread. So they start out with great traction, but that falls off after you wear down to the harder rubber for the better tread wear.

Another alternative is to get a long Tread Wear tire and have it siped. Thats where they use a special machine to cut a series of diagonal lines across the treads which gives the larger blocks of tread more flexibility and better grip. I had a set of Wranglers siped ($10 per tire) and it did improve braking and corning traction from poor to minimally acceptable IMO.

Rich

Nice breakdown.

Traction is for Wet Weather traction and is rated A: is the best, B: is OK or so-so?, and C: is the worst. It is difficult to find A-rated Traction tires for trucks and they are typically significantly more expensive. I had Goodyear AquaTreads for trucks/SUVs on one of my Sport Tracs and they were great in the rain !!

I have the Michelin LTS tires on my 02, and they're reaching the end of their life. Sand on the road=tire slippage. Pulling out too fast at 90 degrees in rain/just rained conditions = burnout.

If nothing else, it makes those turns in wet weather that much more fun...inspires you to go slower or faster, depending on who else is around :D

So now, why are truck tires getting the shaft on these ratings?

I had Michelin OEM's and they sucked big time. Couldn't wait to get them off my truck. Absolutely love my Bridgestone Alenzas. Can't comment on any off road tires since I don't have 4WD.

Put Mich LTX M/S on my 05 at about 25000 miles (crapyears were shot). I just put a new set of BFG Long Trails on my 07 at, you guessed it, 25000 miles because the Forteras were shot.

I really liked the Michelins and the Jury is still out on the BFGs because I just got them last week.

Im on my second set of Bridgestone Dueler Revos. Got almost 50000 miles on the first set...but i did replace the factory shocks at the time and rotated the tires at regular intervals.

Ive got 57K on my OEM's, they are just starting to show signs of slippage in rain. And in Washington state, thats every flippin day sometimes! I don't really have a problem with them. But will be getting new ones soon. I had those big beefy bridgestone Dueler's on my first trac. 800 buks for some noisy, rough, POS tires that I will never put on again. yea, they worked great when I went seriously off roading...Once, for 30 feet, up a 12 percent grade.

I have not decided on what type I will get, but I have had nothing but luck with Goodyear on all my cars, so will go with them.

BFG Long Trail Radial T/As ROCK!

I got 55,000 miles on my BFG Radial Long Trail T/A tires on my trac. The wife has over 50,000 miles on hers and they still ride awesome and look great. I would buy another set in right now if I needed them.

Never before have I been as pleased with a tire as I have been with the BFG's.

Tom

Latest posts