timing chain

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve K 2

Reaction score
Hello! I'm just trying to verify some info. I have a 2005 4.0 soc 4X2. Apparently, my vehicle has a timing chain (not a belt) and there is no preventative maintenance for it. Basically, it should last as long as the engine. Is this correct?

Yes - they (there are three in the 4x2) last as long as the engine (when the timing chain goes, so does the engine).

You are correct - no preventative maintenance.

Listen for a light tapping on cold start. The spring in the hydraulic-spring timing chain tensioners weakens and does not provide enough tension at cold start (the oil pressure takes over after a few seconds). You want to replace them soon after you hear the tapping because damage to the plastic timing chain guides may result and you DO NOT want to deal with them (especially the rear - engine removal)).

I have 235,000 miles on my '01 with no tapping, yet [fingers crossed]. All I do for the engine is regular oil and filter changes coolant system service.

the chain, yes. as for the plastic guides and related parts, no. sooner or later the tensioners WILL fail. keeping up with oil changes will extend the life of those parts but sooner or later they will fail. actually, you have 3 chains on your 4.0l sohc. one for the left cassette, one for the right cassette, and one from crank to jackshaft.

sorry yardsale--I was typing while you responded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had to trade my 2001 sport trac in because of the timing chains.i got an 08 with 37000 miles.and he is right i paid a place 1600.00 and it still was not fixed.i changed the tentioner on the bottom of the motor.wheh i changed the one ontop of the motor the chains got super loud.make sure you

your oil

Latest posts