Time for a brake job.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my new camber bolts in, alignment done & new tires on my Trac. Now its time to start thinking about the brakes.

There's some grooving on the rotors & the pads are in their last third, so I'm not in a big hurry. I'll be getting a new set of Wagner ThermoQuiet pads, since my current set has last me about 3yrs and at least 50-60k miles without squeal & noise. Anyone have preference & experience with replacement rotors for an '03 XLT 4WD? Brand? Standard vs drilled vs slotted vs drilled & slotted?

Also, I've had a couple different shops comment on the dirtiness of my brake fluid/need for a flush. Can I do the flush before new rotors & pads, or is that something to be done with new pads & rotors?

Mario,

I edited the title.....

Yes you can flush the brake fluid at any time, I would def do it !!!!

As for rotors, Honestly save your money, use the Wagner pads and use a good set of rotors like from advanced auto, Just not the cheep ones...

As for the drill and slot, they EAT pads you will not get 50-60K out of pads..

Todd Z

If you're racing your ST all-out on a road course and need every last advantage, cost be damned...or if you just want to look kewl, you can get the drilled and slotted rotors if you like. If you want good, reliable rotors that aren't prone to cracking, then a good set of normal rotors will work just fine. If you drive a lot in the mud, and have noticed reduced braking power, slotted rotors might help. Sort of like how rain tires have grooves to let the water escape. But that's only if you've had problems already.

EBC makes some excellent OEM style rotors, as well as a range of pads made specifically for light truck use, ones that produce less brake dust etc. You might check them out before ordering the Wagners.

If your brake fluid is dirty, flush it!!! I'd rather skip an oil change than risk having my brakes go bad..