The New Mustang

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ Tatum

Reaction score
I test drove the new Mustang GT yesterday. WOW!!! If any of you get the chance to drive that car, you should. I wasn't very impressed with the sound system, but you can't hear it over the engine any way, so it doesn't matter. HAHA. Great car, great price. I wish I had some money.

-Tater:cool:

Ford cant keep up with the supply of them....

I think I will still grab an 07 ST....The mustang is nice though..

Todd Z

Yeah, I heard that the engine in the GTs were mighty loud. Personally, I like that. A lot of people don't. The Mustang GT isn't exactly your average car though. A mod or two and you can have a 400 horsepower beast that will leave 90% of the cars out there in your tire smoke. You've GOTTA love that. ;)

I never was much of a mustang guy once I bought my first Trans Am in 1994, but before that, I had a 1977 Mustang II Cobra. It was an EXTRAORDINARILY fast car. It wasn't the prettiest thing out there, but it ate other cars alive. I went through a set of tires in two weeks when I first bought it.

Once I got the Trans Ams, there was just no looking back. Fast was an understatement for all three of 'em.

Other than the current Pontiac GTO, there's really no american-made sportscar that I'd rather have right now than the mustang. The mustang runs a VERY close 2nd to the GTO, but you just can't top 405 horsepower with a bone stock car. Slap some better exhaust and intake on there and you're up around 450, add a tuner and you'll be up around 465 or so. That much horsepower in a car as small as a mustang or GTO makes me drool.

Anyway, if you get the mustang Tater, good luck and have a lot of fun!!!

Baron

i have no intention of buying the mustang, i just thought i'd drive it. The sound it made was like music. It was real fast. But im quite content with my Trac. I can't get into that much trouble with it.

-Tater:cool:

Besides Baroniv.... the GTO doesn't really count as an "American" made car. The majority of the car is from the Holden in Australia. The only thing American is the Corvette engine under the hood.

lol, Flip, nah...dealer games kept me from getting one. I still love them, but they are a bit pricey, and really pricey to insure....so my next car will feature half as many cylinders, 150 less HP stock, but it'll have a turbo and be even more rare then the GTO.....and *gasp*, it's a car that's not American, and was never sold in America either....so we'll see how that goes a few months down the line.

Dont have the GT but the 4.0 V6 will scoot quite nicely down the road. It's my wifes but sometimes she lets me take it for a spin. We love the car, so many refinements are better than our last 2000 stang. I wonder if the 07 ST would be offerd in screaming yellow??

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had about 4K into my 98 v6 stang and i was killing most of the gt's around here.. It was a nice 13 second car...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

The V6 mustangs have a ton of potential. They're one of the better sleeper cars made today.

I really don't care where the GTO is made, it's just COOL. I rarely see a new GTO, but I see a half-dozen new mustangs every day, even here in my small town (2300 people). When I drive toward St. Louis, I still don't see many GTOs though. I saw a yellow one at the dealership in the next town over and it took everything I had not to go onto that lot. I knew if I went on there, I'd end up driving it home though. I'm just a sucker for fast yellow vehicles. ;)

The Mustang in the pic above (the yellow one) is sweet-looking. Nice car Walter. I'd never allow my woman to drive something like that. She took my Trans Am out ONE time and she ended up in a ditch, facing the wrong way (on dry pavement no less). It had a bit too much horsepower after I got done with it, or at least too much for her. She also wrecked my '91 Thunderbird SC, which ALSO had too much power for her. That was a fun car to drive. She is mainly just a bad driver though. I do miss my fast cars. The supercharged Trac is fast, DAMN-FAST for a truck, but it's no LT1-powered Trans Am. I kinda doubt I'd still have my trac if it wasn't supercharged though, ford REALLY should have offered the V8 option in the previous line of Sport Trac, 210 horsepower really isn't enough for 4000+ pounds of truck. 300 is barely enough in my opinion. I wish the gas prices would go down so we could have a more modern muscle car era. Unfortunately, I guess that'll never happen. :(

I drove a 4.0L Mustang. Unfortunatly it was an automatic tranny. It was quicker then I thought it would be. I wouuld really like to drive a manual 4.0, then a manual GT. That would be sweet.

Maybe in a few years, I will give Theresa my 2002 Trac and get me a Mustang or something like that. That way, I still have the Trac, but I get something that isn't ugly like the new Trac is.

And just think, I was seriously thinking about getting one. Oh well. leave it to Ford, as usual, to screw up a good thing.

Tom

Depending on what magazine did the testing, the '06 MGT does 0-60 in around 5 seconds. I'm not sure the GTO will "[walk] up and down the GT in nearly every aspect." It would be pretty close, and from what I've read, I believe the MGT would out-handle the GTO (and definitely undercuts the price significantly). I understand the comments about the GTO's relative exclusivity, though. There has never been a shortage of Mustangs on the road since the first ones hit the showroom floors. Nevertheless, I'd still buy a MGT, if I didn't already have the Lightning.

I wonder how many GTO's are mistaken for a Grand Prix. Seriously, one of the most plain looking cars on the road. In the last year, I have seen one of them. The same goes for the SSR. The dealer up the road has three of them. They are still on the lot.

Tom

She drives the stang because I have a driveing problem. (he stands up before the group) Hi my name is walter and I'm a speedaholic. I have been a fool on the road when ever I get behind the wheel of any sports car for as long as I can rember.:) Yes if I drove this car regularly it would mean the demise of my legal driveing status in a short ammount of time. We are tuely in love with this car and dont care if there are others on every corner, this one is ours and we bought it because it is great. I buy a vehichle because I like it ,not because there popular or that it may draw attention to me. If you test drive one you will see how good of a job ford did on this one. I definately was suprised in the level of improvement that was brought to the market in the new style. As for the GTO vs GT thing they are so very close that realy noone can honestly say one can walk over the other. However the base GT is about 6 to 8 k less than the GTO hmmm, thats alot of dogh $$$. We can continue this discussion once ford releases the cobras soon then we can start talking about who and what is walking all over . Ride the Pony ;)

Jim, I wasn't only talking about performance. About the only things the Mustang does better then the GTO, to me at least, is that you can shift into any gear you want...the GTO has that dumb CAGS system that forces you to do a 1-4 (1-3?..eh) shift unless you're under heavier acceleration. The of course the price...people snap up the MGT because of a cheap entry price, too bad the price is very indicative of the car you get. The GTO is well worth a drive to anyone wanting a Mustang, espically if they don't want the same car as nearly everyother person, and slide under the radar...

I have a friend who is a GM fanatic. He was all excited about the GTO (he can afford to pay cash!) until he drove one -- and decided to keep his Chevy pickup. He thought the GTO was too little car for too much money (his words). He liked the straight-line performance, but didn't think it was as quick as it should be for the price. He said he also found the ride to be a bit soft, and the interior & exterior to be too plain.

Oh well, to each his own! :)