The age old MAC-vs-PC question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill V

Reaction score
My wife and I have a Dell PC. It's about six years old. It's running Windows XP. It's served us well, and continues to do so--when it's running properly. However, the last few months, it's taken a habit of having severe difficulties booting up or coming out of sleep mode. You move the mouse to activate the screen, type in the password, and then, sometimes (especially if the computer has been unused for some time), you wait. And wait. 15 - 30 minutes isn't unusual. Sometimes you need to reboot and start that process over. Sometimes it won't/can't reboot--you need to pull the power cord, replug, reboot, and start the process over. It's ridiculous.

We've tried adaware. We've tried ccleaner. We've tried www.windowsstartup.com. We've uninstalled anything we don't regularly use. We've defragged. We've moved all our photos off the primary hard drive to an external one to free up space for virtual memory. We've used msconfig to remove unnecessary startup programs. We've played with swap drive/virtual memory. And, most importantly, we've had it.

We're now looking to get a new machine. And we keep hearing people tell us, "You should get a Mac--you won't have those problems." And we're considering it, but we don't know enough about it. The last Mac I used was in 1986, with a small integrated black-and-white screen and this new fangled thing called a 3.5" disk drive.

Are they truly that much more problem-free for the typical, non-computer-geek people like us?

Will we have any difficulties with compatibility if we transfer our Firewire external hard drive that contains our photo and music libraries?

I've heard from people that Windows software can run on Macs. Is this true? If so, why do they even bother having Mac versions of software, rather than just have one universal version? Are resulting data files from Mac software compatible with the equivalent software from Windows? (For example, if I work on a Word or Excel file at home using MAC Office, and I then e-mail it to work, will I have any difficulties opening it there using Office for Windows?)

How expandible are they? For example, if I want to add an HDTV tuner card, it doesn't look like they would physically fit inside the case/monitor. Is it possible? Do they generally accept the same expansion components?

The last couple years, our family's computer usage has been pretty limited--internet, music, photos, some minor Office-type stuff, checkbook, and some kids games (which, seeing that the oldest kid is currently 4 years old, is pretty limited so far, both in quantity and complexity). We'd like to possibly expand more as far as video usage--HDTV and PVR, for example. Are we a good Mac fit? Or are we better off sticking with PCs? As I said, we're not computer geeks, and have no desire to become computer geeks.

Any and all feedback/suggestions/questons/etc. will be greatly appreciated!

--Bill

The last couple years, our family's computer usage has been pretty limited--internet, music, photos, some minor Office-type stuff, checkbook, and some kids games (which, seeing that the oldest kid is currently 4 years old, is pretty limited so far, both in quantity and complexity). We'd like to possibly expand more as far as video usage--HDTV and PVR, for example. Are we a good Mac fit? Or are we better off sticking with PCs? As I said, we're not computer geeks, and have no desire to become computer geeks.

Makes a great fit for your needs. Their monitors are some of the sharpest around.

In my experience, using sleep mode just sucks period . .I never will use it.

There are a few ways to run Windows software on a MAC however, you are never for sure if it will be compatible. Macs have come a long way and have always been the standard for photo/video/sound editing and production.

I was strongly considering a MAC but I got a fairly good deal on this new HP laptop. AMD Turion 64 x2, 2 gig ram, 160 gig hd, 17in widescreen . .I love it. I do not really like the new Window's vista. . it's bothersome . .

It really comes down to price and preference . .

Just go MAC. I have been thru maybe 8-9 PC's Dells, Gateway, Compaq, H-Packard, and along the way have lost all love for PC's. Virus after virus and glitch after glitch. Recently I have been using a friends MAC (something I haven't touched in years) and now plan on my next computer being a MAC. They are just high quality machines.

If you are wanting to do a PVR, you'll want to do either Windows or Linux. Windows would be the easier of the 2 to use :) There are several programs out there for Windows that do the HTPC stuff that you are looking for.

As for your old machine, have you tried reloading Windows on it? Save off all your data files and wipe and start from scratch. Sometimes DLLs get left behind that like to get loaded, and that takes time to do.

First, let me say that personal computers are now like cars...most families have multiple, and they usually think of their needs when shopping for a new one. It's not uncommon for a family to have one small sedan for dad's commuting, and a larger SUV for on the weekends with the entire family.

PCs should be the same way. If you need a PC for use by the family to run family apps like office productivity, the checkbook software, and to get on the Internet, then get a PC just for those needs. You don't need PVR or HDTV capability for that, and you can get a PC that does that today for under $400.

If you want a home theater, media center PC, with PVR and HDTV support then get one. But that's not your family PC. That's your "take her out for the weekend and on special occassions" bling-bling PC and it's going to cost you.

To try to get one PC that can start as the home PC and grow into the home theater/media center PC is like trying to buy an Accord that can be upgraded to an Escalade. It's not possible, and not advisable even if you could.

If you don't want to be your own tech support, get a Mac. Period! I have nothing but PCs in the house...and have made millions off the fiasco which is Microsoft software, and would kiss Bill Gates on the lips if he was here...so I am not Microsoft hater....just a realist. To save money get a used/refurbed Mac that is running a recent OS X and has some good hardware creds.

If you really want a PC-based media center/PVR, I would say wait a few years. They are still too costly and not there yet. The BEST ones are coming out the HD/Blue Ray players, recorders, CableCard support, huge RAID disks, and cost anywhere from $5K to 10K. They will be more mainstream in 2 to 3 years...wait.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
There is absolutely no problem running Windows on the new Macs with the Intel processors. You will need a program called Parallels to use both programs together or you can set it up to boot to either Windows or Mac.

By the way, I have never let any computer go longer then 2 years before I reformat and reload all my programs. All Windows based computers get sluggish after a couple of years. Amazing what reformatting will do to the performance. Of course you will need another hard drive to backup.

My Dad and I have had Macs for several years now and we haven't had a single problem. There is a new version of Mac Office coming out soon which is supposed to be really good. I have a version that is several years old and I haven't had any problems opening/saving or working with PC generated documents. I went with the student version for $150 you get Word, Excel and Powerpoint. This can also be loaded on 3 computers simultaneously.

Are they truly that much more problem-free for the typical, non-computer-geek people like us?

Yes, they really are that trouble free. To put it in prospective I have both a PC and Mac at home. The Mac gets 90% of the useage and the PC the remaining 10%. Yet when it comes to maintenance the PC takes up 90% of my time between the two.

Will we have any difficulties with compatibility if we transfer our Firewire external hard drive

How is it formatted? Win32 or NTFS? I know the Mac will read Win32 no troubles, but I'm not sure about NTFS

I've heard from people that Windows software can run on Macs. Is this true? If so, why do they even bother having Mac versions of software, rather than just have one universal version? Are resulting data files from Mac software compatible with the equivalent software from Windows? (For example, if I work on a Word or Excel file at home using MAC Office, and I then e-mail it to work, will I have any difficulties opening it there using Office for Windows?)

As mentioned, you can run windows stuff, but then you need to install the Parallels program and a copy of windows; which opens you up to the virus & spyware problem again. I prefer to just stick to running Mac specific programs.

Yes, you can do Excel, Powerpoint & Word files just fine. I transfer between my Mac & PC and work all the time. The Mac MS Office does Not contain a copy of Access though; so if you need that, your will have to go the Parallels route.

How expandible are they?

For the consumer models (mac mini, iMac, laptops) they aren't very expandable. You can upgrade the memory and the hard drive and that is usually it. Anything else (such as a DVR) you would need to have as an external usb or firewire device.

From my experience, if you go the Mac route you'll spend the first two weeks cussing and swearing at it because it does things different than what you're used to on Windows. After those first two weeks are over you'll completely love it and wonder how you ever managed to get along using Windows. The Mac OS really is that good.

.02¢ from a Mac fan:

For all of the things you mentioned (web browsing, Office, music, photos, some games) Mac is a perfect fit.

We recently bought a new Intel-based iMac (17" monitor, 2Ghz Core Two Duo w/ 1G Ram, 250G HD) and it's amazing how much of an upgrade it is from my last Mac, a mirror-door G4 PowerMac from about 3 years ago.

The only thing I'd caution you on is that Mac is about to release a new version of OS X sometime this year (called OS X Leopard) in "Spring 2007." If you can wait until it releases, you'll save yourself some cash/hassle upgrading.

Also, when the time does come, if you go to the Apple Store homepage and check the Refurbished section, you'll find some pretty good discounts on Macs that have been refurbed by Apple using original Apple parts and come with the same factory warranty as a non-refurbed Mac.

Finally, if you want outstanding support, I highly recommend signing up for AppleCare. For $150-$175 or so, it extends the Apple coverage from 90 days of phone support and 1 year of tech support at Apple Service Providers to three full years of both.

Just remember one of the big things that most people overlook, including the "Mac vs PC" commercials....

MAC's account for far under 1/4 of the personal computers. Being said, most malicious software coders are looking for the biggest bang for their buck.... so they target PC's.

It's not that MAC's are invulnerable to virus and hack attacks, it more that the payoff for the creators of such software is not the same. It is harder to hack a MAC, but not impossible.

I used to say that MAC's were only good for (4) things:

1) Destop Publishing/Audio/Video

2) Boat Anchors

3) Door Stops

4) Taget Practice

It's been a few years since I've used a MAC. I have no need to. My PC does everything that I need it to. I NEVER go more than 2 years without a re-format and fresh install. If I've added more memory or new hardware, it usually all goes well and the PC runs like a champ again.

I need to get my work laptop into my MIS guy for it's "tune up"...

oooh, flame bait. OK, I'll bite.

R Shrek, you should try using a Mac now days. I was 100% in agreement with you before OSX 10 came out. I was a die hard PC fan. Now? The only reason I even keep my PC around is for when I want to do .NET programming.

NEVER go more than 2 years without a re-format and fresh install.

One of my pet peeves with my PC. If we had to go out and rebuild the engine on our trucks every 2 years we'd be screaming murder, but people seem to accept it with PCs. This reformat idea is not the norm on Macs or *nix boxes.

As for the virus argument? Two theories there. Theory 1: Less Macs = less viruses and theory 2: Because of their Unix underpinnings they are just that much harder to infect. Personally I don't care what theory is right. All I know is that I don't have to waste time & money running spyware checkers or virus checkers on my Mac while I do on my PC. And lets not get into the subject of DLL hell or registry problems!

Oh, and it is Mac or Macintosh, not MAC. MAC = Media Access Control. :D

I agree that Mac is better than PC, just like the Ridgeline is better than the Sport Trac.

One of my pet peeves with my PC. If we had to go out and rebuild the engine on our trucks every 2 years we'd be screaming murder, but people seem to accept it with PCs. This reformat idea is not the norm on Macs or *nix boxes.

But you don't install every piece of $h!t freeware or software on your engine every week so that you need to rebuild the thing every 2 years. Do you?? Because some dude just made a homemade tornado and you should be his number one customer.

As for the virus argument? Two theories there. Theory 1: Less Macs = less viruses and theory 2: Because of their Unix underpinnings they are just that much harder to infect. Personally I don't care what theory is right. All I know is that I don't have to waste time & money running spyware checkers or virus checkers on my Mac while I do on my PC. And lets not get into the subject of DLL hell or registry problems!

You prove the point that the simplest way to exploit a Mac, aside from its numerous vulnerabilities, is through the ignorance of its users, just like any computer. So the PC actually requires some intelligence to use, and the Mac... well the Mac reads to you, tells you it's more secure, and you blindly accept that "fact". Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Latest posts