T/A 8.8 Rear Differential Cover/Girdle Fit?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Fluid has never been changed at 61K and needed an excuse for another add on.

Have read of people here using the PML, Trick Flow, MAC, G2, etc.

Leaning towards the T/A Performance cover who also makes the Ford Racing, Moser, SVO, etc.

T/A is very popular in the Mustang circles, yet I've never heard of one being used on an ST.

My concern is my sway bar clearance and being dropped 3", the stock cover is very close.

Appears the total height of the 1806A is around 4" and the lower profile 1806B is 3.5"

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. And yes, Eddie you started this. (Again) LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed all of them, Doesent matter.... get a lube locker gasket and small drain plug gaskets to go under the lock nuts (2) or they will leak and make a mess of the cover over time..

Todd Z

Probably going to order the Moser 7106 from Amazon, they include free shipping to Hawaii.

Other vendors want at least $50 S&H. Thanks a bunch guys, really appreciate it! :banana:

Steve,

I went with the G2. $109 shiped. Wanted it mostly for drain and fill plug. IMO, our 31 spline 8.8" differential is strong enough for our 4.0L torque. I see no need to worry about carrier bearing caps.

I will put the extra $$ towards the auto locker. If I felt the need for the bearing strength. I would go Mac for the price. $132+shiping. Good unit also.

Not getting any info on my thread. I guess I will go aussie. The price is better.

I have to save some more$$ first. Piece at a time.

get a lube locker gasket

Todd, where from. All I can find instock around here is paper. Even the stores that list the nitrile and fiber mr gasket, or the composition felpro, dont have them. I might just use the rtv only, that came with the cover. Done it many times with the sheet metal covers. Never had a leak.

Eddie- I prefer the aesthetics of the T/A. I'm about 7-8K annual mileage,

the need for changing the differential lube won't be very frequent.

Todd's reusable Lube Locker gasket would be great if I was keeping the stock cover.

Don't plan on removing the T/A cover once it's installed, don't need a $25 gasket.

BTW, if you are still interested, the Lube Locker part number is LLR-F880. Thanks.

Fore Precision Works 8.8 Rear Cover. (Discontinued)

This is a work of art. So is the $350-$400 price. LOL

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Bought the TrickFlow cover and 90-10 Ford Explorer 8.8 Rubber Reusable Cover Gasket(from Fleabay) which was a thick rubber gasket for $20 with shipping with no problems. Torqued to spec and no issues. Obviously the cover is preference according to your allowable cash layout. I knew I wasn't willing spending more than $200, because the stock cover lasted for years without any noticed negative effects. The trickflow being aluminum would dissapate more heat than the stocker and having a drain/fill plug was the logic I used on my decision.

Eddie- I prefer the aesthetics of the T/A

Steve,

You mean the bearing cap strength.

The cover I bought has the drain and fill holes. I doenst have the carrier bearing support is all. I have it already. It is just as thick and strong as the TA or the mac.

The only reason I want a good gasket, is. A one time worry free seal, using RTV with it also. I have used The right rtv in the past. Years latter I got seepage.

Done some research. Mr Gasket has one that is fiber filled nitrile,$9. About 3/32" thick. Should seal very well with a thin coat of rtv.

I just need to buy the locker. Hopefuly all I will ever do is lube changes.

I bought mine on ebay... Searched 8.8 lubelocker...

Todd Z

Just talk to summit. They are sending me their, composition gasket for free.

It appears to be the re-packaged mr gasket. Now that I have drain and fill holes on the rear. The cover will never come off unless I break something.

Im going to look for a magnetic drain plug or modify mine.

I didnt have carrier bearing support on my 'stang. So Im not worried about the 4.0L Trac.

Eddie- I'm looking for a reasonably priced black cover with drain, nothing more.

Would prefer one without the bearing support bolts, no chance of seeping fluid.

Considered the Perfect Launch cover, saw a scathing review about poor build quality.

Latest posts