Sylvania SiverStar Settlement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Got a check yesterday for $11.70 yesterday. It was for the class action someone filed last year. I suppose they had my name from a rebate form.....:driving:

Eddie,

Did you have problems with your SilverStars??

I have purchased several sets of SilverStar headlight bulbs and I have never had any problems, nor have I received a check or was I ever aware that there was a class action lawsuit ??

I purchased a set of original SilverStars for my 2001 Sport Trac, and then took them out and put them in my new 2003 Sport Trac. Never had a problem with them in over 6 years of use in two vehicles.

I also purchased a set of SilverStars for my 2013 Hyundai Tuscan, and they are still working great. Last Christmas I purchased a set of High and Low beam SilverStars for my friends 2011 Ford Fusion. They live in the country and the roads were so dark it was like driving without any lights. They just purchased a new 2015 Ford Taurus and love it. I have not heard them complain about the OEM headlights, so I can only assume they are working fine.

...Rich

Surprises me too Rich, no issues after 5 years of use. Out of 2800+ reviews, Amazon still shows a favorable 4 out of 5 average rating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a check yesterday for $11.70 yesterday. It was for the class action someone filed last year. I suppose they had my name from a rebate form..

Yep, I received a check too.

I've never had a problem with the SS bulbs. I replaced the headlights and fogs with SS bulbs in my '04 Trac shortyl after I bought it. When the SS Ultra bulbs came out about a year later, I moved the original SS bulbs over to my '07 E450 Chassis Class C RV and put the Ultras in the Trac. When I sold the Trac two years ago, the SS Ultras were still going strong, and the original SS bulbs are still working in my RV. I also have a set of SS Ultras in my '08 Mustang that have been installed for about five years now.

My current DD vehicle is a 11 Explorer. I just installed SS ZxE bulbs in the headlights and fogs. They're very bright and white. Big improvement over stock, and also the original SS bulbs.

"Sylvania denies these claims and denies that it did anything wrong."

...but we'll settle for $30 million :)

Long and short of it. Premium headlights are, at best, only marginally better than standard lamps.

They can't sell you a bulb that is significantly brighter than stock because the brightness of the lamps is mandated by law.

All the num-nuts online claiming that the premium bulbs were so much brighter than the stock bulbs don't realize that their stock bulbs were old and degraded to begin with.

Dean,

I disagree !!

I have put SilverStars in several brand new vehicles and the improvement was very dramatic.

I took my old 2 year old SilverStars from my 2001 Sport Trac and put them in my new 2003 Sport Trac and got the same improvement and that was replacing new OEM bulbs with 2 year old SilverStars

I also put SilverStars in my new 2013 Hyundai Tucson, because the OEM bulbs were terrible. Again, the SilverStars made a huge difference in lighting way down the road.

It's not an Old bulb vs New bulb issue. SilverStars are brighter on high-beam because they are 65 watt bulbs vs the OEM 55 watt bulbs. That varies for different models of SilverStar bulbs

They also have a shaped mirrored shield over the tip of filament so the brightest light does not blind oncoming drivers but is focused down the road. The key is to getting more light down the road is to properly aim and focus the light.

We also have a member (Caymen) who tested the bulbs with an industrial light meter and the SilverStars were significantly brighter.

The DOT requirements for headlight bulb brightness only applies to OEM bulbs, not to aftermarket bulbs There are headlight high-beam bulbs available that are about 80 watts, but require a wiring upgrade. Also, you can mount driving lights on your vehicle and as long as you dim them to on coming traffic, they are perfectly legal...the same rule applies to headlights.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts