Sweet TRANSIT STRIKE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding automation (computers) replacing people's jobs, the best advise I can give anyone is that if you are doing a job that is repetitious and doesn't require you to really think at least not in a problem-solving manner, then don't be surprised if automation replaces you in that job in the future.

TJR

What's the record on the number of replies to a thread on this forum? Just curios as we are nearing the 100 mark.

Don't agree on everything said here but always enjoy a good debate. One of my New Years resolutions is to be more diligent at keeping an open mind.

Happy holidays to ALL.

Tim

I think it was well over 300 replies.

TJR good advice. Everyone needs to really examine if their job is necessary.

It doesn't apply just to computers though, streamlining is becoming a big part of business. Useless jobs, and jobs that were created for people just for the sake of hiring a friend are being dissolved fast.

A friend in NYC Dept. of IT tells me they have a Keyboard Administrator.

Another friend tells me that there is a Video Conference Manager. While video conferencing may be important to an organization, this person only schedules VC's and the company isn't that big. Telecom actually manages and implements VC. Normally, Admin. Assts. or a telecom tech take care of scheduling conferencing matters.

Ever heard of a patch manager?

personal favorite: Antivirus Administrator

I've got another -- Workgroup Manager.

As far as I can tell, this guy's job is to come "help" me when my computer is messed up. His job is not completed until he has totally destroyed the computer and/or wiped all the useful data from the system. Then I get to go visit the Purchasing Agent, to get a new computer, which will then be set up by the Workgroup Manager, thereby assuring continuation of the process. I figure if they just give me the "secret Administrator's password", then I can eliminate the need for both of these guys. :D

Last time there was a transit strike in Pittsburgh, about 8 years ago, traffic actually got better. Mostly because you didn't have buses stopped at green lights to let people on and off.:lol:

The transit strike is over. The union members agreed to go back to negotiating and back to work temporarily without a contract. Not sure what the union members got out of this strike, other than a boatload of fines.

Yep, they were fined for six days pay, plus not paid for the three days they didn't show up for work. They basically lost a third of a month's pay for nothing, right before Christmas. Thier union dues may also go up to pay the $3M in fines that was imposed on the Union.

The "company" in this case is a government entity. I highly doubt the city population is in any mood to give the strikers a three-day paid vacation. They'd probably lynch anyone who even suggested it.

The fines were against the transit workers union, the union execs and the striking union employees. I don't see how the MTA which hires the union members nor the services it provides will absorb those fines...nor why they would. In this particular case, the union didn't have as much leverage as it thought it did, IMHO.

I read the terms of the new contract; doesn't sound that cush to me. I'm not sure they even gained any ground.

Here is an excerpt from the article linked below:
Still, the contract dispute has left a sour taste in the mouths of some transit workers. They face fines amounting to six days' pay for the three-day illegal walkout.

"We're still without a contract. What was the point?" said Randy Nevels, the TWU's vice president of train operations who opposes Toussaint.

"The employees feel they were basically used. We got nothing. We went back with our tail between our legs. My people are not happy with that."

Nevels said any compromise that requires members to kick in part of their salary toward health care coverage is a precedent that will stir controversy, because the MTA will push to increase employee contributions in future bargaining.