Supercharged Trac (installed today)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott r

Reaction score
WOW!

That's the ONE word I can use that even comes semi-close to describing how my Sport Trac runs now. I found one of my friends, who has a Chevy SS pulling out of his driveway. I heard him nail it, so I mashed it to the floor and before I knew what was going on, I was at 100mph and he was in my rearview mirror, flashing his lights at me, trying to figure out how my little 6-cylinder passed him. The supercharger whines...it sounds soooooooooooo good.

To say it's SIGNIFICANTLY better than it used to be would be the biggest understatement of the century.

WOW WOW WOW!

If there is anyone out there who has ANY doubts about putting a supercharger on their Sport Trac, forget the doubts, it's the BEST thing you can do. I went from a Trans Am with the LT1 to the sport trac...so needless to say, I was disappointed...but NO MORE! :) :) :)

That sounds awesome baron_iv. Hopefully the rest of the truck will be able to withstand the extra power, but that's definetly a big upgrade in itself. Keep us updated and let us know how the ST is handling the x-charger after awhile. I'm sure that more positive comments coming from you will push more people who were on the fence about getting one to actually follow through with it. I still remember when the first guy had some big problems with his engine, but I also heard he didn't take care of it very well. However, now there seems to be more and more customers that have had no problems. It'll be nice to have a member with one installed and that is willing and able to give some feedback on the situation.

I'll definitely keep y'all up to date on what's happening with it.

I haven't had TIME to take any pics yet guys, I just got done with my initial test drive. Time Slip is going to take even longer haha.

Fer...yes, it's the Explorer Express model. I am lucky to have the PR guy for the BigFoot Monster truck right here in my town. In fact, he's building the next BigFoot right now (17 if I remember correctly?). Anyway, he installed it for me for a very reasonable price.

It's kind of a nasty day today, but whenever the sun comes back out, I'll get my video camera out and get a couple runs on camera so you guys can hear the whine. It's LOUD. haha

I think I was the 86th person to buy/install the X-Charger kit from explorer express. I HIGHLY recommend them, Dave answered 7 emails of mine FULL of questions before I bought, then we had to call him again today because we weren't quite sure where one of the vacuum hoses was supposed to hook up, but he got us straightened out pretty quickly. The instruction booklet was VERY well written. I think anyone who is comfortable with taking the intake off would be able to install it themselves. I hadn't ever messed with any computer-controlled vehicles before, so I let Chris install it. I might have been able to do it though, the instructions were VERY clear.

I actually found a friend of mine pulling out of his driveway when I was on my "test" drive. He's got a Chevy SS (one of the new ones). I heard him step on it, so I mashed it to the floor and before I knew what was going on, I was at 100mph and he was in my rearview mirror flashing his lights...trying to figure out how in the hell I just passed him with my little 6-cylinder truck. I popped the hood and his eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store. haha

Anyway, I'll post every day or two and try to keep everyone up to date on how it's going.

Please dont, please, please dont tell us how wonderful it is....................................................................................................................................................I want to stay married!:(:p

LOL, sorry Teddy.

I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to Dallas, unfortunately. I live in Missouri and I've got to keep working to pay for this supercharger! No time for vacation!

Rodger, the SCTXcal2 came WITH the supercharger, so did the intake, and I already had a cat-back exhaust system installed. Doug over at bamachips did a GREAT tune. He actually sent me TWO tunes, one mild and one wild. The mild is pretty wild, the wild is more like INSANE. It runs like a champ.

I think baron_iv is really Dave Vanek incognito. :D

E.E. is gonna sell a bunch more superchargers after this thread! Wish I could afford one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flip try $4000.00 Plus $1500 for a new tranny.... :)

If this is serious, I wish you luck... and would like to see pics and a video!!!

I have Heard horror stories about some of the tunes from Doug at bama chips.. He sent me a program that was no good....

I went back to Wayne Foy for my tuning....

Good luck with it..

Todd Z

They are expensive, but when it comes to serious performance, you can't beat a supercharger. All of the other mods you could do to the 4.0L won't add up to the horsepower you'll get from a supercharger. I guess you could always drop a 4.6L down in there, that would probably make it mighty fast.

I'll get some video sometime this weekend, I'm off to burn some more of that way-too-expensive premium fuel.

Oh, and no, I'm not Dave incognito. haha

-Scott

Shoot. Now I need to find a better supercharger, then kill the maker and installer.

Enjoy it. Hope all is well.

lol.

Do you have one too nobleman? I just went out on another "test drive". The torque is beautiful. going up a steep hill didn't even require shifting down (as long as I was going fast enough to keep it above 2000rpm, which is where the power starts).

My wife said "OH MY GOD, WHAT'S THAT NOISE?!?". haha

I said "that's my supercharger!".

She gave me that "you're such a doofus" look, shook her head, then said "that's annoying".

I think it sounds sweet. I may be a bit biased though.

-scott

No, I would love one, but I have other things to spend $6K on right now.

Maybe in a few years.

Does a supercharger require more fuel to operate or does it make the engine use its fuel more efficiently? Of course I am talking about when you don't put your foot to the floor to out run the ricers.

Well, you're forcing more air into the cylinders, which requires more fuel. However, like I said earlier, when I was going up a large hill by my house, I didn't have to shift down...which means that the engine was running FEWER RPMs, thereby saving gas.

I don't think it would HURT your gas mileage a noticeable amount as long as you can keep your foot off of the floor, I'm just not sure how much it would actually help. I'll have some gas mileage statistics sometime next week, so we can find out for sure.

Theoretically, you are making your engine more efficient. If you think of your engine as an air pump, you are dramatically increasing the efficiency, so you SHOULD be increasing your gas mileage.

I suppose that's open to discussion though. I'll let you know whenever I find out something.