ST won't start when hot

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Cohn 2

Reaction score
I have an '02 ST with 170,000 well maintained miles on the odometer. My ST developed an anomaly of not starting after the truck has been run for like 2 hrs. It is making me crazy. I heard the relay, fuel pump and filter. I really don't want to just throw money at the problem. Any body have same issue? Any suggestions how to proceed? Thanks

I really don't want to just throw money at the problem.

Check engine light or not, start by scanning for trouble codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inquiring minds need to know. Does it crank and just not start. Or not crank over.....? Too many varibles, not enough info....

As others have mentioned, is this a Crank-No Start or No Crank-No Start condition? When was the fuel filter last changed?

Sorry I didnt give enough info. Truck cranks normally, acts like it is fuel starved. This is after driving it. No check engine lights , everything else is works great on the ST. No codes. Fuel filter will be changed today. Anybody hear about a fuel relay issue?

Check if the fuel pump shut off (inertia) switch is tripped. Also check the the connector. (Pages 126-127)

We have had a few members that the harness connector to the inertia switch overheated. Eventualy the connection was ruined and switch and harness had to be replaced.

It believe the inertia switch must be manual reset if it actually trips so I kind of rule out the tripping but not there still might be a problem with the switch. Especially since others have mentioned heat damage.

I use to have a 91 Exploder and I remember fuel pump relay problems with the 90s Rangers but no problems with that relay in newer Fords. :driving:

Let us know results after fuel filter change. If condition still there I think most would say check fuel pressure - gonna need a gauge for that. There are a lot of good videos out there. Eric The Car Guy's are my favorite.

Picked up the fuel filter, hope to get a chance to replace tomorrow. This started when the summer season started. Outside temps in the 80's, a quick trip turns into waiting 2 hrs. for the engine bay to cool. I did go for the fuel pump reset bottom, however it was already pushed. Odd thing is I have owned this ST since new and never pushed it, and never had an accident. I guess I will check fuel pressure to see if the pump is shot.

My guess: Fuel pump check valve.

Test:

The next time it does this, cycle the key to Run (do not start), hold there for about 10 seconds and then back to Off. Listen for the fuel pump running. Do this three times. Try to start.

This will force the fuel pump to run more than normal and, hopefully, build pressure.

I don't think you've got an electrical problem; if you did the pump wouldn't run at all. The fuel filter is on driver's side frame rail. Check YouTube videos for familiarization, and don't forget your safety glasses.

My 1st thought would be the fuel pump is going bad. A fuel pressure test isn't going to tell you anything unless you can catch it when it is not starting. If you have someone else with you the next time this happens beat on the bottom of the fuel tank in the middle while someone else attempts to start the engine. A lot of times if it is fuel pump related this will jar the pump enough to get it past the sticky spot. Also the next time it doesn't start pay close attention to the check engine light while you are cranking it over. If the check engine light does not go out while cranking then you have a issue with the crankshaft position sensor.

ALSO check the fuel pump inertia switch wiring. This is EXACTLY what my ST did and the wiring was all cooked !!!

Todd Z