Squeaky Mice in the Engine Compartment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Hey All,

I wanted to get your thoughts on a steady squeak I have coming from under the hood. I have heard it for a few weeks now, but it seems to go away after the ST is warmed up. The other day, I met a friend to go running and it as I pulled up, he was already out of the car and heard the squeak. He told me that it sounds like I need a timing chain or that the valves needed to be adjusted. I have 166,000 miles on it and have done all the normal maintenance on it. (60,000 mi checkup, 120,000 checkup and all oil changes in between) I am not sure if these are things in the normal maintenance covered by the dealer. (I am at work now and don't have my ST file with me) I just wanted to get some thoughts as to what it could be.

Just a quick thought, I recently had an explosion of coolant in the engine bay. (the ST board was a tremendous help BTW) Could it be possible that this could cause some squeaking? Thanks for any info.

Tommy

Sounds like the belt is soaked in coolant, or a pulley is making the noise...

You can remove the belt and start the engine for a min or 2 and listen, I am sure the noise will be gone...

Clean all the pulleys with clean water and install a new belt.

IF it is still there, then it is a tensioner or idler pulley. IT could be the alternator too..

Todd Z

Thanks for the quick response Todd Z. About how difficult would you say it is for somebody with medium mechanical skills to remove and install the belt? I would love to do it, but am afraid that I would never get it back on and need a tow. Then everybody could go: :bwahaha:

Also, I hadn't thought of the alternator. Hopefully it isn't that. :cry:

(Sorry, I love all the smileys)

Thanks,

Tommy

Check the idler pulley on the serpentine belt. It has a spring loaded tensioner on it and the pulley bearings are known to squeak a lot before they fail completely.

...Rich

I don't think the valves are adjustable on this engine. Most likely it is the idler pulley or the alternator.

Shaun, the shorter belt bite tighter. Less problem with the power steering pump slipping.

If you notice the diagram. the pump gets the least belt wrap.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFter complaining about this for a year to the Ford dealer in Virginia (Ted Britt Ford), I complained again in December, 2009 and they informed me that Ford ha issued an official fix for this and there is a notice out on this. It is covered under warranty. They installed a new belt and another part. I have a 2008 Adrenalin with V6 engine. This engine is the one affected. Suggest you take it bak to the dealer and mention there is a notice out on this issue.