sport trac rough idle/start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Schepper

Reaction score
2002 Ford Sport Trac

130k on the clock

Went to fire my truck up the other morning and it did not turn over. I figured a dead battery assuming an accessory had been left on. Well went back out to jump it this morning and low and behold it did not need a jump to start but was very slow in turning over and when it did turn on, It idled very rough and died. I turned it over again and it started again and the idle turned back to normal.

I just put a new battery in the car a month ago. A diehard gold whatever and just changed the oil.

My main questions are... Do i just need to clean out my IAC? is my starter dieing? Is it the alternator?

If you need more info feel free to pose questions my explination was kind of vague but I dont know how else to describe it.

if by turn over you mean cranking but not firing up, Then I would suspect the battery, the battery terminals, or starter...

Now i know it is a new battery, But if the terminals were not cleaned, or the new battery is going bad, that will do it..

Since you have a sears battery, let them check it, and the charging system.... i believe it is free with a sears battery.....

They can load test the battery, clean the terminals, make sure the terminals are not cracked, and eliminate that part...

Normally when the IAC goes, the truck runs rough, blowing black smoke, shakes, or does not stay running once started...

Todd Z

Let us know what you find..

Todd Z

Cleaned up the terminals. Took the battery back. They tested it and seems its ok. Everything checked out and it runs fine now.

Ben, our tracs are more tempermental than any ford I have owned. My battery was going bad last year. I was having all kinds of electrical gremlins. Replaced the battery. Everything went back to normal.

Glad you figured it out. :cool:

my last battery started going bad and gave me a hell of a time in the morning starting. still passed advance autos battery test... but i went ahead and bought a new one and she turned back to her old self immediately.

I agree with you Eddie... they are pretty darn temperamental.