Sport Trac Boat Towing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Erickson

Reaction score
Hi all, and apologies for dumping a bunch of newbie questions on you with my very first post.

I'm in the market for a lightly-used truck to haul my watercraft around. I have two big "couch" waverunners (~2100 lb. total with trailer) and a 21 ft boat (~3700 lb. total with trailer). I'm interested in the 4x4 V8 ST, mainly because of the interior (two adults, one teen, one German Shepherd) and because of the shorter wheelbase when compared to a full-size truck. My driveway has a sharp drop-off from the road and some tight spaces/turns to make in order to get the trailers back into the garage... pretty steep stuff. I worry that a full-size truck won't be as maneuverable, and will make the job harder. I may need to drive forward down this steep driveway, and the tow vehicle must be completely in control when the trailer is pushing it.

Is the V8 ST fully appropriate for my needs? Or would you have some concerns? Are there 2006-2009 Sport Tracs that have a class III hitch installed from the factory? What typical "trouble spots" would you inspect extra-carefully on a used ST? Anybody added a front hitch to their rig for pushing their trailer around?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom/info,

Rich

The v8 4x4 would be perfectly adequate for you needs. There is a front hitch for sale on the swap & sell :banana:link right now. Good luck and welcome to the site!

Are there 2006-2009 Sport Tracs that have a class III hitch installed from the factory?

The hitch is part of a frame rail and is installed at the factory. Although several have converted a class II hitch to a class III, it is expensive and difficult.

Welcome to the site and good luck with your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gen2 Trac may be the ideal vehicle for your family and towing needs.

Despite it's short bed, it does have a 130" wheelbase, and a fairly wide turning radius of 18 feet, for your tight driveway.

(10 inch shorter wheelbase and 2 foot narrower turn radius than a comparable Tacoma)

After owning six Ford trucks, still consider my ST the best, and most versatile vehicle I've ever owned. (4 Rancheros and 2 "F" Series)

No problem towing at all with my 08 V-8 I had...Towed a 26' pontoon boat loaded up with all the gear, full tank of gas..etc weighed approx 4500lbs and towed thru the ozark mountains. It had the factory installed class III hitch and the ST had plenty of power, and easy to back in and pull around. I love having the sliding power rear window also...makes it a little easier when loading/unloading at the boat ramp.

I will agree with the others.

In your case, you may want to seriously consider the front hitch option due to your drive way and close restrictions and turns and what not.

Rear hitch, either use the factory installed Reese type hitch or have one installed or install it yourself. Do not use the bumper hitch for the loads you want to tow.

I think you will find the Trac to be a very good vehicle for your needs...

Rear hitch, either use the factory installed Reese type hitch or have one installed or install it yourself.

He's talking about a Gen 2. They don't make hitches for that vehicle - factory only because it's part of the frame. He might be able to get something installed under the existing factory hitch.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that he get the truck with the Factory installed Class 3/4 hitch. Anything less is painful to upgrade.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that he get the truck with the Factory installed Class 3/4 hitch. Anything less is painful to upgrade.

Great info, thanks to all of you. What's the nomenclature that identifies the factory Class 3/4 hitch? Is it something like "Tow Package"?

Regarding the front hitch, I'll confess to being a little nervous about pushing my trailer over the precipice between my road and the steep downgrade of my driveway... nightmare scenarios of being dragged pop in my head. Anyone have experience with front hitch use on sloped surfaces?

Regarding the front hitch, I'll confess to being a little nervous about pushing my trailer over the precipice between my road and the steep downgrade of my driveway... nightmare scenarios of being dragged pop in my head. Anyone have experience with front hitch use on sloped surfaces?

Contact member/site admin Rich Stern. He's got a front hitch on his Gen 1 (2001) ST. He installed it for the sole purpose of maneuvering his boat, so he can offer plenty of advice in this area.

+ 1 on the factory Class III/IV hitch. Also be sure to get V8 and 4WD or AWD.

Trailer brakes might be helpful too. SportTrac has trailer brake controller wiring and plug ready to go. Adds sway control automatically.

Good luck!

Great info, thanks to all of you. What's the nomenclature that identifies the factory Class 3/4 hitch? Is it something like "Tow Package"?

"Tow Package" is correct...about $250.

I towed 2 three seat waverunners on a dual trailer for 3 years with my trac, which is only a V6 and it towed them great, when on the highway at 55 - 65mph the trac felt like it wasn't towning anything at all.

Very manuverable as well, as I have a driveway with an incline as well.

The V8 will do you proud.

Welcome to the site from another Northern Californian. :supercool:

Is the V8 ST fully appropriate for my needs? Or would you have some concerns?

There have been several people on the site over the past nine yrs. that have pulled boats with their Gen. 1 ('01 - '05) ST with absolutely no problem. Rich Stern, the founder (no longer owner) of this Great site, put a front hitch on his Gen. 1 ST V6 for his Tracker bass boat. So, the V8 will be effortless for your needs. I agree that if you are ordering, or buying used, to get the class III hitch from the factory. :haveabeer:

I pulled a 21' Wellcraft cuddy offshore boat with my Gen 1 ST. The ST was weighed down considerably, but it got the job done.

I would think a Gen 2 with a V8 would get the job done just fine if it had a Class III hitch instead of the II.

I love having the sliding power rear window also...makes it a little easier when loading/unloading at the boat ramp.

I just test-drove one yesterday and that's an awesome feature! Depending on the trailer, you could drop the tailgate and the window and make that first drop down the launch ramp with an empty trailer MUCH easier!

the v8 gen 2 is a great trailer friendly truck...

my (at the time) v6 gen 1 trac did well with 7000 lbs of grady white, gear and fuel.

[Broken External Image]:

-keep on trac'n

Don d.

Don, that's impressive. Love the boat, too!

What would you guys say is the optimum height for the top of the 2" trailer ball on an unloaded Sport Trac? I gotta go out and get a post and ball assembly...

Latest posts