slotted rotors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's possible but it takes a special machine that most places don't have. It's kind of hard to describe, but the rotor lays flat and turns while two milling wheels resurface the inside and outside. Saw it on TV once. Good luck finding one. Maybe a Porsche or Ferrari dealer or race shop.

A good machine shop can surface them them like a flywheel off a car, But the cost can be 80+ bucks....

Todd Z

Good thinking Todd!!! I never thought of that, I will call around and see what it will cost... But if it costs that much I may just get new rotors, and get the zinc coating..

Thanks,

Chad

Carquest can resurface them. $12.00 each.

Thanks again Todd, they said no at first and when I mentioned resurfacing like a flywell, the light came on.

Chad

Most shops that resurface rotors will only do the conventional turning regardless whether they are sloted, drill, or not.

The Flywheel type surfacing that Todd is speaking about is call Blanchard Grinding. That puts an non-directional finish on the flywheels or brake rotors. I always get my rotors blanchard ground because the non-directional finish to the rotors helps bed the brake pads better. However it does not require any special brake lathes to do the blanchard grinding on brake rotors. They will usually use a 4-5" hand grinder with about a 180 grit wheel and they will move the grinder in a small circle while the lathe is spinning the rotor(after the rotor has been turned).

Many shops like AutoZone or Pep-Boys will look at you with a blank stare if you as for you rotors to be blanchard ground. Usually you have to go to good auto-repair shop, or machine shop. We do have an independant autopart store in town with a machine shop in the back and they do my brake rotors for about $18 now. They used to be as cheap as $10, but over the years their prices have gone up like everything else.

If you have a flywheel resurfacing/repair shop, they can probably do the rotors too, and they know exactly what blanchard-grinding is because it's done on vurtually every flywheel.

...Rich

Many shops like AutoZone or Pep-Boys will look at you with a blank stare if you as for you rotors to be blanchard ground.

Could be because Autozone doesn't turn rotors? :lol:

That's correct, Tom. Trust me, there's some people I work with (at Advance Auto) that I would not let near my ST.

there's some people I work with (at Advance Auto) that I would not let near my ST.

I don't think there is anyone at a peps, advance, autozone, Any of those places I would let near a remote control car !!!!!!

Todd Z

I had a guy at Summit Racing tell me that the Mazda B series trucks have rear disk brakes. When I told him he was wrong, he told me to trust him on it. I looked back at him and said, "I want to buy some rear pads and rotors for a Mazda B series truck". He asked what year. I told him "Any year truck that has rear disk brakes". After searching around for about 10 minutes, he said they do not have them in stock. I said "then order them for me". Wouldn't you know it they were unable to order them either.

Finally, I said "can you show me a listing in one of the books?"

His reply?

"Disk brakes never came on the Mazda B series trucks"

My reply?

"Don't flap your jaw if you don't know something. It just makes you look like an ass. Hee Haw Hee Haw."

Usually the guys at Summit know their stuff. I finally found a guy that knows his stuff and is willing to listen and learn.

Tom

What's the best non-slotted, non-drilled rotors out there? OEM?

For me, anything made in the USA or Canada at the cheapest price.

The heavy-duty NAPA rotors will fill that bill. They generally have two rotors for most applications, the cheaper one is made in China, the more expensive one is made in the U.S. or Canada and is much heavier. I have them on the front of my wife's car and my dad just got four put on his car.

Chad, what slotted rotors do you currently have and how many mile have you put on them that you need them turned?

I agree with Caymen, Any American or Canadian made replacement rotor will work just fine. The cheaper the price and the better the warranty the better.

...Rich

Not sure who makes them, I bought them a long time ago (2003 or 2004) on ebay. I have put 2 sets of pads on them, well the last set I bought were cheapos from Autozone or Advanced auto about 6 months ago. Big mistake all they did was make a mess of my rims with brake dust. So I tossed them, even though they had alot of material left. And I figured I might as well have them turned so I have a good clean surface.

I am now trying out some ceramic pads, to see how they work. So far they seem to be alot better, but I also need to add some braided lines, as I am going to put 35" or 36" tires on it.

Chad

Latest posts