SAS Update with pics

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
Well I got the axle installed in the vehicle, now I get to install the steering tonight. And hopefully my wheels and tires are delivered today.

60069554c261264f4aa778659999078f.jpg

d843ed760d29c7857faee4af3f335255.jpg

d1fbbee541e1302f4af937c5829f94fa.jpg

433cd135249b3b6c22e2f149f284d34d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait until I do the SAS on mine. It'll be a couple years but when my truck is paid off I'm doing it. IFS is good for some things but ground clearance and trailing isn't it. Hey chad do you still have the spacers that you were selling? :cool: :banana:

Looks good, nice work and nice welds....

Only question that front mount, does it have enough reinforcement for front to back movement ?? I see the rear gets the shackle so the front will take the load of the twisting and breaking..

Thanks

Todd Z

Rodger: The benefit of doing this is to have a darn near bullet proof front end. The IFS suspension is not designed or strong enough to handle what I do with it. I am tired of replacing UCA's and hub bearings as well.

Todd: The front crossmember is made of 2x6 1/4 wall steel. It is welded on all 8 sides and will take alot more stress then I could ever place on it. I have already cycled the suspension and it flexes pretty good.

whoa, nice wheel and tire combo. but man that leaf sprind doesn't look like its doing its job? to looks to be bending backwards.

The springs I had made were the "soft" design, but you are correct I need to get another leaf added and all will be good. Just kinda bites that the axle once again needs to come out:angry:

Now I need to design a sway bar for the front, since this will still be my daily driver it needs to be totaly safe on the highway, before I put my family in it. Although my son is ready to go for a drive in it.

But the truck drives and handles completely different now.:banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad I have a curious question...

Say I would be interested in doing this someday sooner/later. Since you did such a great job on all the parts that you made...

Might you maybe make a production line for sale perhaps? Like the spring mounts, new shock mounts (if needed) and the mounts for a sway bar. Or anything else I technically missed. Also instead of getting springs made, what kind of springs could be put in the front. Per say buy the 4" superlift springs for the rear and buy another set for the front. What vehicle model/year that you got the front axle out of? Stuff like that would be good and cool to know and if any others would be interested in doing. I am very curious and wanting to do the same to mines.