Rusted Bolts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Alcaro

Reaction score
A report you may find interesting...........Bob

Rusted bolts.............Machinist's Workshop magazine recently published some information on various penetrating oils that was very interesting and useful.

The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break-out torque on rusted nuts.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds

PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds

ATF*-Acetone mix............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.

Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Thanks Bob, good info. I have all of that I need in my garage. Plus a small oil squirt can I never used.

Great info. Thanks!

I have always have PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench on hand but have always used PB Blaster more. I guess I'll start using the LW more. WD-40 is typically for squeaking house doors and cleaning/removing surface rust, not breaking loose bolts, IMO.

Never tried Kano Kroil or home brew. Not really interested in spending a ton of money or mixing chemicals, either.

Nice to know there are better penetrants than smelly PB Blaster.

How to apply the mixture in areas where the spray tube is used?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that before and tried the ATF-acetone mix on the shock bolts of my daughter's Jeep. Worked like a charm.

Latest posts