Roll Over and Sport Trac's (Gen 1)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I understand this is a dated issue, but should concern all Gen 1 ST owners, as they are the majority here.

Prior to buying my ST, I did extensive research regarding the safety of the Sport Trac.

Disturbing from the start, this vehicle failed many "emergency maneuver" roll over tests.

Don't recall Ford ever issuing a TSB to replace the deficient OEM Rear Sway Bar to a model similar to the EE "X-Spec", or Addco.

This upgrade, among others such as shocks, would NOT prevent rollovers, just reduce the chance of them.

"Canopy Side Curtain Airbags" OPTIONAL? Any comments?

P.S.- The FIRST article that appeared when I Googled "Sport Trac Rollover", was from ConsumerAffairs.com

Titled, "Ford Sport Trac Flunks Rollover Test", it stated a LIKELY rollover in 30 to 40 percent of single vehicle accidents.

This was based on their "fishook driving test". Out of 22 different vehicles that were given ratings, the 4X2 ST came in last.

The 4X4 test is shown as "inconclusive" and "under review". Very troubling.

Last edited by a moderator:
What they do as an emergency maneuver is nothing that would be seen in real life3. Wear your seat belt and you are fine.

Tom

We have had a few members with stock suspension in a roll over. From emergency moves. Im not sure if any members have with upgrades.

IMO, with the sloppy shocks and undersized swaybars. Ford was trying to make the Gen1 trac a soft rider. I see alot of gen1 owners around me. Some of probably would not have bought it if, it rode stiffer. My dad is 83 and complains about the stiffness of mine..:eek:

I've seen Corvettes rolled over on the side of the road, and I'd rather be in the ST in that scenario than Chevy's finest there.

Physics tells us that you can flip any vehicle over, though with more and more small cars on the road, that rollover risk should decrease as a small car will not hit at or above the center of ST gravity, which makes it far harder to flip it over.

(I'm assuming that these studies were done on T-bone collisions, as you'd have to work to make a frontal or rear collision roll a trac over)

Alternatively, the crappy no traction Wranglers could be used, and when you're hit, you'll just slide sideways instead of being rolled :rolleyes:

(That's facetious, btw)

I agree with Caymen here. I've slid the track on gravel with the e-brake and I'm still not rolled over, and many of us have done dumb things and are still fine.

According to the cop who pulled me over for "reckless driving" (crock), it was a "miracle" that I didn't flip over, as all SUVs roll when turned "at speed". It wasn't a miracle, it was Ford engineering as augmented by Zabteck, and speaking of which, my front sway bar came in yesterday, along with my throttle body :D

If the trac is hit at the right height, of course it will flip. If you run full speed into an approximately waist high wall, you'll flip too, but no one ever has concerns that the human body isn't safe and needs a TSB from God ;)

I was driving on an unfamiliar highway in my 01 very early one morning this spring... The exit came up fast and I (Without thinking) cut hard right and hit the brakes hard at the same time. It was not a cloverleaf, but it was a 25 mph curve to the right. I hit the exit at 65 MPH, the ST leaned HARD and nose dived at the same time. Tires were absolutely screaming, ABS was pulsing big time, but I made the exit, and did not roll the ST. 2 things came from this...

1) I was just plain stupid for not paying more attention, and for trying to make the exit in the first place. I like to think that I am a careful driver, but everyone makes a stupid move occasionally.

2) I was EXTREMELY thankful that I had replaced the shocks and BOTH sway bars with the upgraded ones. I fully believe that these kept my ST from rolling in that situation.

This was the second time the ST had every right to roll, but did not. (First time my wife was driving and we ended up in a ditch buy right side up.) I posted about that a few years ago, as som of you remember when my father was fighting cancer, and I had not slept in 3 days. It was then that I decided to upgraded the sway bars. (I had already done the shocks)

The above said, I guess I do have a biased opinion... But I think you should replace the shocks AND the sway bars. It is well worth it, just in case.

i have made emergency maneuvers in my lifted S/T many times. responding to structure fires, motor vehicle accidents, etc...no problem for me. it is possible to flip any vehicle sure. but even when i respond to emergencies at above posted speed limits, i have never felt i was even close to flipping or loosing control.

Let's be honest here, I'm sure the majority of rollovers were due to the driver making an "emergency manuver" from not paying attention or driving stupid than from avoiding an incident that was beyond their control.

I generally avoid rolling my Trac over by not driving like a Butthead!:D

LOL....

I should video the turn i take at 60-70 in my ST..... I loose mustangs, BMWs, all the idiots that try to tailgate me in this turn....

I come out of the turn several car lengths on them....

Todd Z

There's no way these ST's come close to having the propensity to go greasy side up that the Bronco II's did. I've repaired a good dozen BR II roll overs. That being said, my wife and I have both logged many thousands of miles in BR II's and never come close to rolling. A side impact in a high center of gravity vehicle will not end well for you but none of the BR II's I fixed were side impact. My guess in those cases is just plain driver error.

I had a Gen 1 '04 stock that I hit black ice with, then did a 180 on dry pavement. Was going about 35mph when it happened. No roll-over potential...not even close.

Any vehicle can roll over with the right speed, road conditions, and maneuver.

TJR

..Ohhhh what I wouldn't give for Todd Z's ST.....(sigh)

All it takes is money! Send him some and he'll send you the parts for yours. Send him enough and I'll bet he'd part with the whole truck!:)

dreman- You speak as if Todd's in the ST business. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '08 and had the '01. The '01 I had the updated rear sway bar. You really have to work at getting the trac to roll over. Any vehicle will roll over if put in a position to do so. I even put a body lift on it and still fealt safe in it.