Replacing tie rod requires new rack?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taco Jackson

Reaction score
Hello. I'm an idiot when it comes to vehicle repairs. I have a mechanic I trust for the most part and he told me that my "front left inner tie rod" is loose/broken/whatever and that it is due to a "hole in the boot". He said he would replace the boot and tie rod but his schedule is just too busy for the next couple of weeks. So he referred me to a different garage I know nothing about.

When I got there, they're telling me that to replace the inner front left tie rod, I have to "replace the entire rack and pinion" because it's one assembly and that it will cost $1000.

Um. Does that seem right and true?

Thank you all.

Not in my past experiance. The tie rods can be bought and replaced seperatate. If the boot has been torn long enough. Dirt and trash might have scuffed the rack rod. Usually in that case the seals will leak. Get another opinion.

Most new and rebuilt racks come with the inner tie rods on them and sealed boots. He may be trying to make an extra $$.

How many miles on yours.?

Have you noticed any fluid leakage on your driveway/garage floor? If the steering rack is actually leaking, you're screwed. $1000 is about right for a new steering rack. If its just the inner tie rod, though, I highly doubt its one piece with the rack. You should be able to replace the inner tie rod seperately. WIth that said, I have admittedly been out of the auto repair industry for a while. Maybe they are one piece now, but I doubt it.

The inners ARE replaceable on the ST, but the seals normally require a new rack to be installed....

The rack is only $125 bucks for a Reman for the ST.... Even with an alignment and NEW outer tie rod ends you should be $500.00 or so..

Todd Z