Rearend rebuilt and trying to assemble - AXLE RETAINING PIN WON'T SLIDE IN!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Vinke

Reaction score
I just finished rebuilding the 8.8 in my 02 Sport Trac and am trying to reassemble it, but the c-clip/axle retaining pin positively will not slide back in. I have had apart dozens of 8.8's in the past and know how to rebuild them, but something is just not right here.

I insert the axles, slide on the c-clips, pull the axles back out so that the c-clips fully seat inside the spider gears, and then the retaining pin is hitting both axles and needs about 1/16 on each side to slide all the way through.

I did buy a new differential and rebuild it, but I cannot figure out how that would change anything.

I started hearing this bad clunking in the rear and tore into it and found my spider gears were all chewed up. Rather than buying new spider gears for $125, I bought a used 31 spline OEM carrier with a carbon fiber clutch rebuild kit for $100 off eBay.

The carrier I bought was said to be a 31 spline Explorer carrier, and as far as I can tell it is - I have never known there to be any differences in 8.8's. Are they not all the same?

I am tempted to just grind the ends of the axles down by 1/16, but there is something in the back of my mind telling me that is not a good idea...

There are different spline 8.8's........ Sounds like the carrier is wrong... Are you using a new pin ?? Or the old one ???

Also check to see if any thing is in the spider gears or stuck in the carrier causing it not to go back....

IF you use to thick thrust washers it will not go back together also..

Todd Z

I tried using both the new pin and the old one.

To my knowledge, all 8.8 carriers are pretty much the same, it's just the spider gears that are differently splined. But, both my old carrier and the carrier I bought were 31 spline, and the new one is supposed to be out of an Explorer.

I rebuilt the carrier with a Ford Racing clutch kit and put it together exactly as stated by the Ford Racing instructions using the shims included with the kit.

The washers directly between the spider and the carrier may be thicker than the originals. If this is the case, the C-clips would be seated, but not far away enough from center to allow for the pin.

If you have the old shim/washers give them a try just to see if that is the issue.

I have seen it happen many times.

I have seen in many cases where the spider gears are the same physical size but the shim/washers were either thiner or thicker, creating either a no fit to a too lose condition.

The two lose can be fixed to some degree by installing a new crush sleeve and ONLY tightening it down to absorb the difference of the slightly looser spiders.

Not the perfect solution, but it does work.

You are correct, but if you replace it and don't tighten it to the normal point, it will move the carrier back a bit. Yes, this causes other issues, but it is a temporary solution when it comes to slightly off gears.

I don't agree with the fix. It will wear the ring and pinion gear at a faster rate. Only passing on what others have done.

With regards to this case, I still believe the issue is either the shim washers or the spider gears are wrong.

Coastiejoe,6/13/2009 08:12 MT

You are correct, but if you replace it and don't tighten it to the normal point, it will move the carrier back a bit. Yes, this causes other issues, but it is a temporary solution when it comes to slightly off gears.

??????????

Sounds like you bought a 8.8 carrier out of a mustang to me.. And they are different,

Todd,

If you read this remember the pin I was almost going to sell you at the meet? The Mustang carrier is smaller than the Explorer 8.8 carrier.

Last edited by a moderator: