Rear Differential Oil Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phillip W

Reaction score
Im wanting to change my rear diff oil this weekend and wanted to get a understanding on what needs to be done. I have a 04 Sport Trac, 2 wd. If anyone has done this on their 04 and would mind sharing the steps or tips that would be great.

Here are some of my questions:

What type of oil and how much is needed?

Do I pull the whole cover off or is there a drain plug?

Is any sealant used on the filler plug?

See link below for the correct lubricant and quantity. There's no drain plug. You can remove the cover, but take your time on reassembly and use the correct sealant on it. No sealant needed on the fill plug.

NICE, I have 2 serere gear 75-90's at home, have to get one more to call it a day. What is used to seal the cover back up and how is it done?

Phillip,

My sujestion for sealant is. The gray or black rtv for oil and grease. Use brake cleaner on both surfaces. Peel all the old rtv off. You want the surface oil free.

When aplying the rtv. Go around the bolt holes also. I have had some of the ford 8.8 units. The bolt hole was drilled through. I had a leak around the bolt. Dont worry about getting the sealant on the threads.

Wait at least 1 1/2 hours before refilling. Let the sealant set.

You can use teflon tape on the fill plug. It can help it from rusting in place.

5.5 to 5.8 pints to fill. Books vary on that......

Specifically made for this use:

Last edited by a moderator:
<---------------------- Projects section

Not exact but will help a ton !!

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/TrickFlow/Installing%20a%20Trick%20Flow%208.htm

Todd Z

Remember to add friction modifier if you have a limited slip differential. (Check door code)

I've used Permatex "The Right Stuff" and it works great. See link below. What I really liked though was the Mag-Hytech differential cover that I bought for my Gen1. Great fit, increased capacity, and it had both a drain plug and a fill plug.

Ill take a look for that stuff.......looks like I have a code 43, so I dont need any friction modifiers. Hope to get a lot done this weekend.

thanks for the help

As far as the rtv sealant. I have been buying the black "PRO-SEAL" brand. It is good for oils and grease sealing. Cost about half the price of permatex.

I have even been lucky, and one of my 99cent stores sells a 1.5 oz tube. In black or red. The red is for higher temps. I sealed mine and my moms 8.8 with a tube each. Thats 2 tubes(total 3oz's) for $1.98 vs $5 or $6 for 3oz permatex. The Pro-Sealbrand hasnt let me down. Used it for about 6 years now. on sheet metal pans and cast pans. Has no adverse effects on motor seals, towards O2 sensors either.

IMO just as good as permatex.

For extreme high temp. I will buy the permatex copper rtv.

Just an FYI experiance. To save some $$. The 3oz tubes are usualy set up next time you need it.

nice thanks for that tip, the local dollar store had it tooo by me. Im a little confused on the oil though, I checked Amsoils site and it says 75w-90 or 75w-110 and read the same in other places. Then went on and found people says 75w-140? Needless to say, I dont know which to trust. Im in Tx where the summers get HOT. Which would be better?

I happen to already have 2 qts of the Amsoil 75w-90 and only need one more if that is the best to use.

At 60K I had the same dilemma with my 3.73 open (conventional) differential.

No tag on cover, Ford Workshop Manual 75W-90, owners manual 75W-140,

Amsoil site 75W-90 OR 75W-110. Huh? I don't tow and wanted to optimize

mileage so I used the Amsoil SG 75W-90. Haven't experienced any increased

noise or heat after a long highway drive. Personally, I'm content with the lower

weight fluid and won't change it for another 60K. FYI, here's the Ford TSB.

yes 75-110..........

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2004+FORD%20TRUCKS+EXPLORER%20SPORT%20TRAC+K

I just went with their 75w-140 just to be safe.

When I installed my powertrax. I used redline synthetic 75-140 severe duty.

edit; Phillip im in the houston area. No problem with the synthetic 75-140.

Redline "shock proof" gear oil. Looks like melted red candle wax. Adheres as well too! Started using it in the trans on my Harley and now in the truck. I have to say, I agree with Eddie on this one. Bob

Bob C.,

that is a good discription of the redline shockproof lube. It poured so slow, I took a second look at the label. To verify the viscosity....:bwahaha:

Either viscosity would work. I use 75W-90 and I live in Atlanta. If it was up to me, I would go with 75W-90. When choosing oils, if your given an option, go with lighter weight oils for synthetics and higher weight oil for conventional.

Think of the ring gear like a paddle. Is it easier to stir honey or water?

[Broken External Image]:

The Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110 fills that gap for a perfect happy medium.

Unfortunately I couldn't find it locally before Vic became a MySt site sponsor.

Awesome ! Thank You Guys for the info and the link to the AMS-Oil website !!!! :grin: Wicked Cool !! I have to change my diff. Oil too, (leaking a bit). :sad:

I'm not stress'n because of your info. . . Thanks for the info. I'll let you guys know how it went down . . . . May take care of it next weekend.

This is what I have to deal with : Limited Slip ?All TEMPS......75W-140 *?[1]? *[2]

????? ????SEVERE GEAR 75W-140 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVOQT)

* [1] Limited Slip Identification: Letter & number

on plate on door lock pillar. (Models W/ Traction-Lok Rear

Axle Add 4 oz of friction modifier part no. C8AZ-19B546A

(EST-M2C118-A) or equivalent)

[2] Synthetic oil is required.

Latest posts