Rear differential LOCKER??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Thompson

Reaction score
Is there anyone who has installed a locker in their Trac? I have been looking at putting one in to help out with the snow and wet traction issues that I have been having. I do little offroad driving but in Northeast Ohio (Snowbelt) I can and do get heavy snow to move thru. I have upgraded the tires and rims and that has improved the handling alot and with the Shurtrax weight in the bed (320lbs) that has improved. I still want more!

I also work as a firefighter and I have to get thru conditions that most people would go around or wait and the added comfort and capability of a locker would be useful.

I have seen a Powertrax write up in the project section and I am thinking of this addition. I am looking for anyone who has installed this and how their MPG and driving has been affected. Anyone else done this?

I'd recommend the Powertrax. Caymen has installed one in his Trac. It shouldn't affect the mpg. All Gen 1 Sport Tracs have a 31 spline 8.8" rear axle.

How about the cross shaft - .750" or the .875" Four Wheel Parts has two different powertrax with the difference in the cross shaft.

I am being cheap here and searching to the lowest cost online.

I'd recommend the Powertrax. Caymen has installed one in his Trac.

Actually, no I do not have a Powertrax. I have the OE Traction Lok rear end (limited slip).

I live in Akron, so if you want a hand to help you with the install, let me know.

Tom

31 spline...... I installed 4:56 gears and a Motorsport Cobra posi unit....

The PT units are good too with les work..

I had a Auburn in my Mustang and Loved it !! i would do it again in a heartbeat...

I just did not want the hurkey jerky of the locker in my truck so i went with the Cobra Posi !!

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen said:
Actually, no I do not have a Powertrax. I have the OE Traction Lok rear end (limited slip).

Sorry, could've sworn you told me you put a Powertrax in yours. Must've been someone else. My bad.

I was thinking about this, I have a 82 cherokee that is ARB in the back and aussie up front and can climb a telephone pole. (Okay, slight exaggeration). But if my 2008 awd traction controlled ST had an automatic or, better yet, an selectable (ARB, OX, etc) how would that mess up the traction control??

I don't know how the system is programmed, but Mustang GT's have a limited-slip 8.8" and traction control. I have read here that a 2004 Explorer limited-slip will work in a Gen 2 and if I'm reading Eaton's application guide correctly, they make a True Trac that will work for us. I'll get one or the other if I end up buying mine when the lease is up in a few months. The traction control sucks in deep snow because when ALL the wheels lose traction it makes the engine take a crap. So you shut the TC off and now you've got open diffs front and rear.

JohnnyO... I had not thought of that. If you have a locker you could just turn the traction control off if it causes a problem.

I am not sure that it would cause I problem to have TC on and the rear locked. It might confuse it some since the back tires would always rotate at the same speed.

I will be very interested to see how this goes. Having run lockers in my Jeep I can tell you they make a world of difference off road.

I strongly advise AGAINST using a locker like the Powertrax Lock-Right(R) in a Sport Trac.

The ST is NOT a rock crawler; it's a street vehicle for people who might take it off-road once in a blue moon. IME dog clutch locker third members perform poorly on paved roads, and can be downright dangerous in traffic. Don't use them on the street!

If you need a traction adder, stick to clutch-type differentials (e.g. Traction-Lok) or even better, worm gear units like the Torsen(R) and Truetrac(R). Ford uses the Torsen T-2 in certain Ranger trucks, and the Torsen is the only one that's certified for use with electronic traction control and related vehicle stability controls.

The Torsen and Truetrac units will give you exceptional and seamless traction that's superior to old clutch-stlye differentials. They're so tenacious in maintaining traction that it's hard to do smoky burnouts and donuts with them. These attemp to exert a constant torque onto the road surface vs the other types: "posi" clutch types, lockers, spools etc. These can give a 50/50 torque split at best. Torsen types use mechanical forces to route to the wheel that needs it most. It does it seamlessly and continually, while sill providing true differentiation.

Why do people stick with old-fashioned clutch or locker third members? They're scared of new technology, for one. They are familiar with carburetors, pushrods etc., and don't want to learn anything new. Torsen types tend to be more expensive up-front, although in the long run they're cheaper because they require little to no maintenance. Torsen types are clearly superior in most applications.

Lockers do have their advantages, though. Lockers are constant velocity devices that can (and often do) make both halfshalfts turn at the same speed, with the hope of gaining a torque advantage. Lockers make a half-hearted attempt to provide some differentiation, but it's crude, rough and not suited to road vehicles.

If you're a mudder, rock-crawler or some other kind of off-road enthusiast, a locker may be right for you. These are off-road sports, though, and should be treated as such.

My advice is to get a Torsen. (FRPP catalog #F88/ZT31) Specify the live axle (c-clip) version if that's what you have.

Idont remember who recomended it. For street service I was recomended the power trax#-92-0688-3108. fits inside of the open carrier. No need for ring and pinion tear down or adjustments.

I have looked and I tend to agree with Mustang Guy. The driving style I have and need is to put power to the rear wheels with traction. I does appear the TrueTrac is the the best option to meet what I am looking for. And for the same cost!!

Big question - Can an average wrencher do this at home or does it need professional installation?? Does it 'drop in' like the powertrax?

I have a Richmond Gear Powertrax locker in my ST (Not the Lock-Rite). Have had it installed for about 5 years now, works great in snow, rain, mud ,rocks, and making truns on the pavement. And my ST is in fact a street vehicle as well a rock crawler, it has been on many level 4/5 rated trails in Moab, UT and driven back home to St.Louis, MO. And to be honest I completely disagree with everything Mustang Guy says about lockers. I have an ARB locker up front as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Powertrax No-Slip is a soft locker though. Doesn't have the street driveability issues that a Detroit Locker would. OP sounded like he needs more than average traction (firefighter, etc.) so I recommended a Powertrax. The True Trac is very good also and more streetable, essentially it is the same as the Torsen diff that comes in a Ranger FX4 Level II.

There is the Eaton E-Locker that functions as a limited-slip but when you hit the switch it locks up. Costs a bundle of money though.

But then on the Jeep board I belong to one of the mods runs a rear spool in his daily driver. :grin: