re U-Haul !!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Partridge

Reaction score
I couldn't believe that U-Haul wouldn't rent me a trailer of any type .

They said any Explorer product they would not rent any type of trailer .

I called the Ford dealership and they mentioned a few years ago they had a problem

with Firestone tires and I guess a law suit . It happened in the States in very hot weather.

Rear tire blew. Ford should mention this before people are buying their vehicles at least

for customer knowledge.

This is very disappointing because I bought this truck to haul a car trailer .:fire:

Ford should mention this before people are buying their vehicles at least

for customer knowledge.

If you got your ST to tow a trailer, then do what I did. Buy a trailer. This was on national news some years back.

Don't blame Ford.

Tom

It wasn't the Firestone tires that was the issue..It was the fact Ford had the recommended PSI for tire inflation in the rear set really low..like 26-28 or something....Overloading the rear with low tire pressure will cause alot of heat generated therefor tire blowout..Several explorers were carrying Uhaul trailers. That is how Uhaul was involved in the lawsuit..

It wasn't the Firestone tires that was the issue..It was the fact Ford had the recommended PSI for tire inflation in the rear set really low..like 26-28 or something....

Firestone gave ford the AOK to go ahead and run that pressure too. Also, IIRC, the tires were made in one certain plant that was having quality issues.

The problem was not 100% Fords fault.

On top of it, U-Haul does not have the reputation of having the best equipment and the jury found fault in U-Haul and their defective equipment.

Tom

You can still tow with it, just not from U-Haul. Within it's limits, I wouldn't have any concerns towing and haven't had any problems myself.

I borrowed a Neighbors ram to pick up the trailer and switched it to my ST....

you also can try telling the guy its a f150 or ranger.....

OR go to a smaller private u-haul.....

Todd Z

OR go to a smaller private u-haul.....

Yeah, I have a U-Haul guy that just has a few trucks and trailers outside his gas station. I am almost certain he wouldn't think twice to let me rent a trailer.

I usually do what Todd suggested.

About the Firestone tire F-up, it was the manufacturer (Firestone) that was really responsible for the tire and all the accidents. I don't care if you run tires at 20psi, the tread shouldn't ever seperate like they did unless they were pourly constructucted at the plant.

Firestone didn't do anything about it at first like they should've and then Ford got pulled into the lawsuit because they ran those tires from the factory.

So now were limited because we own a vehicle with a name that was involved in a lawsuit like 15 years ago, I call B.S.. Ford doesn't even put those tires on OEM anymore so we shouldn't be shut out from rented a trailer. JMO

:angry::fire:

Again, system dynamics at play regarding Ford/Firestone...

A system in which a manufacturer puts out large, hundreds of thousand to million of unit bids to suppliers of parts is bound to result in said manufacturer shipping products to consumers that are of a quality that is not as desired.

In the Firestone case there was tread seperation. In the Goodyear case there has been excessive, early wear.

The reality is that the system incents lower cost over higher quality. That's simply the reality of it. Ford and other manufacturers through their pricing models are getting OEM tires that don't even come close in quality, wear life, etc, to other tires often of the same brand and by the same manufacturer when purchased as replacement.

I firmly believe that there is lesser quality, different (cheaper formula), whatever, in the tires that are sold in huge lots and get placed on vehicles in the factory than the supposed same tire you buy from Tirerack.com, etc.

TJR

It's all about the damn lawyers not doing what it morally correct. Case in point: About 8 or 9 yrs. ago the was a law suit against Ford where some college girls were driving an Explorer "drunk" and were in a accident; they sued Ford and won. :fire: Similar things have happened with U-Haul. :sad:

I wonder how U-Haul will react to this all-new car-chassis Explorer? Will they still say no?

edit: I just went to U-haul's website for grins. Even now, with a totally different design platform, just because it says Explorer on the back, U-Haul won't rent to owners with the new Explorer! :fire: :smack:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem when I wanted to rent a trailer to pick up some stuff from my wife's grandma in MI. Tried to save money by renting from U-haul 1 way, wouldn't let me. I looked at renting a trailer for the 5 day trip and it was going to cost around $300-400. I ended up buying a trailer, fixing it up for less than $500. I've used that trailer multiple times now and am glad I bought it. Don't give U-haul the business if they don't want to rent to Explorer owners, you'd think they'd want to with all of them on the road...

I rented a 12' double axle no problem from a u-haul on my Mountaineer a few years back... Funny as hell exact same truck... It's all politics and legal-BS.

I'm just glad they don't deny people based on a tire check! My mounty had firestones at the time:smack:! Ha!

So your telling me that a tire with low tire pressure that is loaded down will not blow? Of course it will. Excessive heat build up will kill a tire quicker than anything! I see it all the time!

Tire manufactures do make a cheaper tire for the car manufactures. That is why there are no mileage warranty on tires that are on the car from day one! They want to buy alot of tires for a cheaper price. So tire manufactures will make them as cheap as possible. Go into a store to buy tires that have a mileage warranty even if it has the same name, the quality is going to be 10 times better! Simple put its called Business!!

:eek:fftopic:
That is why there are no mileage warranty on tires that are on the car from day one!

Um, this is not true. There are several people (including me) who have gotten their tires warrantied based on the mileage warranty. I was able to get a new set of tires put on my 07 ST for $248 out the door from Discount Tire because of the mileage warranty of my OEM Michelin's.

:back2topic:

It sucks that after all these yrs (and Explorer redesigns) that U-Hual still refuses to rent to Explorer owners.

Actually the U-Haul ban occurred after Firestone was taken to court and Ford stopped buying their tires. The tire issue surfaced in late 2000.

There was a lot of finger pointing going on. Ford was blaming the Firestone tires, saying they were defective, while Firestone blamed Ford for recommending air pressures that were too low... Both companies were involved in a number of lawsuits

Oddly enough, Some Chevy Trail Blazers had the same Firestone Wilderness AT tires on some models and they also had several incidents of tire tread separation failures but Ford just had a lot more with the more popular Explorer that used only Firestones at the time.

It was also reported that Firestone had a problem at the Alabama plant that was one of their tire plants that was producing those tires and recalled a bunch of tires made at that plant. That did not stop the problem. Ford eventually broke off dealing with Firestone and did a massive recall to replace all the Firestone Wilderness AT tires on all Fords going back to about 1996. Even if you replaced your tires and had receipts they would give you the cost of your new tires, and the cost for mounting and balancing.

About a year later, Ford quietly sent out new tire inflation specs stickers to be placed inside the gas door to increase the tire pressure....But they never accepted any blame for the problem.

In the end, I think both Ford and Firestone were equally to blame and I think they both suffered financially and both lost a number of big lawsuits.

...Rich

Latest posts