re U-Haul !!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rodger,

I won't include the judges because most actually do a good job exercising on the powers that our laws grant. If they rule some evidence as inadmissable, it is only because a lawyer motioned that it be so, and then the judge applied the rule of law and either sustained or overruled that motion.

TJR

Caymen and Richard L are both correct. Ford recommended a low inflation pressure for the rear of Explorers (24 psi iirc) so that it would break traction in a panic maneuver instead of flipping over like a Bronco II. That being said, the ONLY rear tire failures due to this occurred ONLY with Firestone Wilderness A/T's ONLY in the P235/75-15 size made ONLY at one specific Firestone factory. At the time I had a Ranger with those tires and I got a new set of Goodyears for free. Besides new tires, Ford sent all Explorer owners a new tire pressure sticker recommending 30 psi front and rear.

As far as U-Haul goes, I can't blame them for not wanting the liability but on the other hand if the guy at the counter is busy or doesn't seem particularly bright, I've heard of people telling U-Haul that their truck was an F-150 4 door or a Mercury Mountaineer and the rental went right through. :grin:

If you state the wrong vehicle and you get in an accident good luck with the insurance company.

Anybody know any VP'S at ford or U-haul.

I would like their written explanation with what justification they have for the newer designed vehicles.

I thought we bought the insurance anyway. Maybe it is the insurance company U-Haul deals with.

I guess this is a dead ended question that seems will not be addressed by U-Haul.

I will go to Home Depo for a small trailer rental. Borrow a car trailer if required.

Thanks for all the input.

U-Haul will not rent a trailer to be attached to any Ford Explorer.[3] According to U-Haul: "U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul." This extends to all production years and models (for example, the ban includes the Ford Explorer Sport Trac) of Explorers, regardless of tire brand that is attached. This comes from many accidents involving Bridgestone or Firestone tires. Ford Explorers can, however, be towed by U-Haul equipment, and U-Haul also sells U-Haul branded trailer hitches, which are manufactured by Cequent or Valley Industries, for Explorers.

The ban does not extend to sister vehicles such as the Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Aviator, or Mazda Navajo which are all the same vehicle simply re-badged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the door panel on my '03 ST 4wd and it says 35psi front and 3psi rear.

I always run 35-38 psi in all four. I don't think I've ever run 30psi in any of my vehicles and I've own a wide range of different vehicles.

The only time I air down is when I'm wheelin' or if the chance ever arise get stuck in sand, etc...

My sister had the firestone tires on her '99 explorer xlt. The dealer replaces them with the wrangler rt/s. The ones we we all hated on our gen 1 Tracs....:bwahaha:

I told her dont drive in the rain. Get rid of the factory shocks. Be shure to rotate and religously check the air. She thought I was crazy, until I explained all the problems we had..

Within 10k my b-inlaw dumped them for tiger paws....:bwahaha:

EDit; just a note. They had over 150k on it. It was t-bone totaled. They had the early 5r55e trans we have. Never had it serviced and never had a problem???? Why do we..

I replaced the Firestones on my 2001 Job1 Sport Trac within 2 weeks after I purchased it new...Those tires were terrible. The vehicle tended to drift in turns to the point that it would change lanes and had a very insecure feeling while driving at any speed above 40 mph. I replaced them with Goodyear Wrangler RF/A's and Ford reimbursed me the full cost (including lifetime balancing) They were rotation-free tires that had a different tread pattern front and rear and they were Aqua-Tread, so wet weather traction was great!

I put 42K+ miles on those tires, they were never rotated, and they looked brand new when I returned that Sport Trac (leased) for my 2003 Sport Trac.

The Goodyear Wranglers that came on my 2003 Sport Trac had terrible wet weather traction so I had the tires siped at Discount Tire for $10 each. That made a big improvement in overall wet weather traction, but still not anywhere close to as good as my RT/A's.

...Rich

That whole fiasco, broke up a 100yr deal between ford and firestone. Ford and firestone were camping and fishing buddies all their lives.

Kingsford charcoal has it roots in fomoco also. There was and option for cooking out. Where both parties developed a fender mounted box, of utensils and charcoal for cook outs.

Getting back to Uhaul not leasing to Explorer owners

It is simply because of bad blood left over for all those legal disputes in years mentioned prior to my post here.

The Uhaul family holds the grudge to this day. I highly dought that will ever change.

and If you do lease a Uhaul trailer from a mom and pop Uhaul business and something does go wrong on or with the equiptment side.

Don't look to Uhaul in your litagation. It will be on with the small businesses that leased it to ya.

Uhaul makes it very clear to ALL the folks that run a Uhaul small business that they are not to lease a trailer to be used on any Explorer model. It's in writing. in Most uhaul shops (somewhere) and on Uhauls website as well.

I refuse to use Uhaul myself If they are against my Trac then I am against their product ;)

Sorry for the long post info from Ford.

Thank you for contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre. We received your message sent on 3/30/2011 regarding your inquiry on U-Haul not renting trailers to Explorer owners.

We regret any inconvenience you may have encountered in attempting to rent a U-Haul trailer. Please note that this is a U-Haul policy. U-Haul is not making any distinction based on any technical criteria or safety concerns.

The Explorer has an excellent safety record, and was recently named "Tow Vehicle of the Year." Additionally, the Explorer received a "Recommended Buy" from Consumer Reports and has been the best-selling SUV in the world for 13 straight years.

Explorers are one of the safest vehicles on the road and is widely recognized as a very capable tow vehicle and no other rental company has given any indication of excluding any vehicles from those they rent to.

We recommend that you use another towing rental company and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

Sincerely,

Rachel

Ford of Canada

Customer Relationship Centre

I will say that last year I picked up a U-Haul trailer with my Trac. My bud was moving and had rented a large truck and a tow dolly for their car, but his wife could star on "Hoarders" and their biggest truck wasn't enough. The truck was already half loaded so we hitched the tow dolly to my Trac and took it back and exchanged it for a two-axle trailer. Maybe they only let us have it because it was going to end up on one of their trucks, but either way they never said a word about me having an Explorer.

1. Firestone is a subsidiary of Bridgestone, a Japanese corporation.

2. It was the failure of wrongly made OEM Firestone brand tires that caused the Ford Explorer rollover problem.

3. This problem was tread separation at highway speeds, and was completely related to other SUV rollover problems during hard cornering.

4. The Fore Explorer and related vehicles showed no problems when fitted with similar tires made by Goodyear.

5. Ford was the easier target for lawsuits, as it was a US company and Bridgestone was not.

6. U-Haul may think that they're covering their ass by refusing to rent to Explorer and Sport Trac drivers. IMO they are saying that they don't want our business. Therefore I take my business elsewhere. So can you.