rattle and died

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod denton

Reaction score
possible lost a engine today about 25 mph it tapped 2x and just died coasted to road side *as I was checking it out in the storm of the day I could not tell what the issue was or ho bad but as I got in the wife's car I get yelled at for getting something on her floor it was oil so not only do I have a broke truck I am also in the dog house for her carpet and floor mat being stained I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED AS I GET TO TEAR IN TO IT :angry:

Just a guess, but I thinking that your timing chain or sprocket/s broke.

Sorry, but I can't help you with your wife yelling at you..:grin:

...Rich

raining so hard I cant get to it quite yet

can any one tell me if the gen 1 is a non interference or interference type

thanks rich i will get some pics when I tear into it

any one ever do a coyoteor engine swap what size if so what challenges did you bump into

:eek:nline:

I think the 4.0L is an interference type.

The easyest motor swap is the earlier 5.0L from the merc-mountaneer. Same frame and motor bay as the gen1 trac.

Any of the new modulars are too wide.

Since your Trac is a Job 1 the 5.0 windsor swap would be easier than a new 5.0 modular coyote. A few wiring differences in the C110, C139 connectors, the Tach ground wire needs swapped, and since your Job 1 is PATS B, the 99-01 Explorer/Mountaineer would be the the easiest choice, since it also PATS B.

PATS is Ford's Anti-Theft solution to keep someone from starting and driving off your vehicle without the correct coded ignition key to your vehicle.

The early 2001 Sport Trac Job 1 has PATS B like the Explorer, the late 2001 Sport Trac Job 2 has PATS E, which makes the Job 1 a simpler swap. No having to rewire for Pats B, or having to disable Pats, just swap over the PATS module, the ignition tumbler, and key from the Explorer. Or you could just have Ford program your existing Trac keys to work.

The early 2001 Sport Trac Job 1 also uses the ABS module as the VSS signal source like the 99-01 Explorer, where the late 2001 Sport Trac Job 2 used the PCM.

That makes the early 2001 Sport Trac Job 1 the easier candidate for the 5.0 swap using the Explorer 99-01 5.0.

looks like us engine has best price on rebuilt anyone one have any opinion on them good bad in different any will help or any other engine sources will be checking with jasper maybe later this week

Latest posts