Pictures of my slammed trac!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Schepper

Reaction score
Ok so its not a bagged trac. It just happens that my wheel fell off while I was heading out biking this morning. Saw the thing roll past out the corner of my eye. Great...

I had my tires rotated at les schwab a lil while ago and I guess they forgot to torque my back rear. I heard a rattling but I thought it was coming from my fender skirt.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

They were closed today but they will be getting a piece of mind tomorrow that is for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully they don't say it was 3 weeks ago and some one tampered with it....

Check the torque on the rest of them...

Todd Z

Man, that is a bad one..

I feel your pain. I lost mine with wife and kid in the car on a trip. was in Penn. coming from Ga. to CT

Scared the hell out of the wife.

I thought I blew a tire.

Mine just dropped on the rim.. and road. didnt go out of the wheelwell

Glad everyone is ok.. and you get them to pay for the damage.

Man. That sucks. Hope you get it repaired okay. Could have been really dangerous if it had been a front wheel.

That sucks!

Quick question for ya Ben...

Did you re-torque the lugs after 100 miles? When shops do anything with the wheels, they either tell you, that you need to re-torque after 100 miles, or your expected to read the fine print on the paper to do this anyway. If it was explained, or it was printed on either say the receipt or whatnot, and it wasn't done. Then they aren't responsible for any damages.

They did not tell me anything. They simply rotated the tires and said have a good day. There is nothing on the invoice I received from them that said recheck the wheels after 100miles. It had only been a week.

That happened to my bride's car (a big old Olds wagon) a number of year ago. The sparks caught the undercoating on fire and the whole car burned up. Worst part was I made the last payment on the next day.

This happened on the freeway, and I happened to pass underneath while it was burning and saw the smoke. I though 'some poor fool's car is burning up'. The joke was on me when I got the call about a half hour later. :(

Did you re-torque the lugs after 100 miles? When shops do anything with the wheels, they either tell you, that you need to re-torque after 100 miles, or your expected to read the fine print on the paper to do this anyway. If it was explained, or it was printed on either say the receipt or whatnot, and it wasn't done. Then they aren't responsible for any damages.

I was going to say the same thing, all the places I have ever been say that or have it written somewhere. If you are sure it doesn't say that anywhere you might be able to get them to pay for damage. Here it always says 100 km's which is 60 miles.

Yet, another reason I rotate and torque my own wheels.

Roger, since I swap out wheels all the time from track tires to street tires I always torque them again after 100 or so miles. And, they are always a bit loose. Track tires get checked after each 25 min session on the track.

Aw man!! That would bum me out soo much. I really hope that they take care of you.

Maybe.. you sould go crazy while you are in there and demand they install a lift kit for you. haha

I had the same thing happen to me a while ago, but it was a ford dealer that screwed up. They actually told me that they did everything right, and that someone was trying to steal my tire and thats why it was loose. When I told them pay or hear from my lawyer, they paid for all repairs. and a new tire, since this happened at 10pm on a highway.

This is one of those "everyone should know to do it, but few do it" kinds of things. Like checking your oil level a few days or a few hundred miles after an oil change.

Mea culpa...heard several "pings" while driving my '73 Nova back from college...those pings were the lugs sheering from the vibration...got home, pulled into the driveway, the next morning I saw that I had only TWO lugs holding the rear tire on (driver's side too...coincidence...probably...maybe not).

TJR

Uncle of mine took off outa a tire place after a rotation and they forgot the lugs on ALL FOUR TIRES! they were super great at taking care of him... but then the next time he went in for a rotation THEY DID IT AGAIN! ALL FOUR! we avoid merchants like the plague down here in VA.

Funny Gavin.

But how do we really know the service guys made a mistake in Ben's case?

Now in Woppy's uncle's case, sure, that's a big mistake.

TJR

I'm with Roger, I've never had anyplace tell me to re tighten my lugs after 100 miles. I guess I can understand it, but I've never been told it.

Rocks

Re torquing is normally only needed with aftermarket rims, Not stock OEM ones....

Todd Z

Had that happen about 10 years ago on my buddy's Jimmy. We were on our way to Lake George fully loaded, towing a jet ski. Tired popped off and passed us on 287. They had just had the truck repainted, new rims and tires. His dad was there when they were putting the tires on and said to the guy that he didn't tighten the lugs far enough. Guy argued with him that they were on tight and the shop promptly paid for all of the repairs.