PCV Valve Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Toften

Reaction score
I need to change my PCV valve on the Gen 2 4.0L. I have located the valve on the back of the driver side valve cover. It's like the guy from Where's Waldo planned on where to put that thing. Hose and plug simple enough. Question is the new valve looks to have a tooth on each side that would keep you from just spinning the old valve out. Any experience here in changing it? Will it just spin out or is there something more devious going on here?

The PCV valve has two locking tabs on it that lock it in place. To take the old one out you turn it out, it does not just pull/pop out. You turn it counterclockwise to take out. You likely will have to use pliers (channel lock or small pipe ones) to turn it out and then again to put the new one back in, obviously be careful with the new one that you dont damage it. Make specific note of the way the old one is facing before you remove it. When you put the new one in it likely will not get all the way tightened just by hand and you may not get it lined up and locked the first time. Once it is in correctly you should be able to tell by trying to wiggle it and turn it, you should not be able to remove it easily by hand.

<<<<< _______ PROJECTS SECTION>

Thanks firedog. Do you have to lift the tabs at all? Or will they spin right out? And yes I saw the projects page. But that is a Gen one with a liquid heated valve as opposed to the Gen 2 electric heated valve. I now realize the valve body is basically the same. But the project list doesn't mention the tabs either.